Sunday, January 08, 2017

August - Grandma NaDeane (Great Gram)

We were so glad we went to visit my grandma on August 1st because two weeks later, she passed away.  She had battled alzheimer's for 10 long years.  She was able to stay in her house until the very end, which is what she wanted.  She had two amazing caregivers who cared for her morning and night.

My grandma was born in 1928.


She was the oldest of 11 kids, got married at the age of 17, had her first kid soon after, had two husbands and 6 children, and was a hard working, tenacious woman.  





My grandma with me as a baby.


Grandma with my Grandpa Bob (her first husband, and my mom's dad) with all her siblings.

Me and the girls at my Grandma's funeral service.


I love this picture of my grandma.  This is how I most remember her.  Happy to have us come.  Ready to make us dinner.  Annoyed that her trash cans filled up so fast.  Yelling at Andy (her second husband). Wondering where her cat was hiding since the visitors scared the cat away.  Feeding the neighborhood cats.  Showing me her tomato garden.  Taking me shopping at The Main Place. Having tons of junk food in her cupboard.  And always having a full candy jar.


Wish I knew how to rotate the picture.  My grandma's younger brother brought this picture to the funeral and was telling us that he had been whipped just before this picture was taken.  My great grandparents, Muriel and Alfred Lindquist, had a hard life.  His leg was amputated after being run over by a train.  And he was a mormon, but also an alcoholic.  Some say he was a mean drunk.


Most of NaDeane's grand children and great grandchildren.

My mom with four of her siblings.  Uncle Rob died in 2006 from Leukemia.

Me and my cousin Michael.  He is the son of my mom's younger brother, Mike.  He and I are one year apart.





No comments: