Tuesday, July 06, 2010

My Grandma..."Great Gram"

Last week my mom had a proposition for me:

"I have to go down to Anaheim to take care of Grandma for a week. If I get you a hotel, would you want to bring the (4) girls down for a few days to visit?"

Sure!

My 9 year old niece Alyson has been our 4th daughter the past couple weeks. We love it. The girls love having her here. So I packed us 5 girls up, and we hopped in the car (I make that sound so easy), So Cal bound.

5 1/2 hours later, we arrived (darned traffic!). Grandma is in stage 2 of Alzheimer's, so you never quite know what to expect. I was so happy to find her in good spirits!

One thing is for certain: If I am ever wheel-chair bound, or somehow disabled, I choose my mom to care for me. She has a patience, compassion and connection like no-other. To watch her love my Grandma through the pain, the physical needs and the emotional roller-coaster is to get a peek into Heaven and the love of God, no doubt.











My grandma loves the kids, even though she can't exactly remember who is who, and which are mine. She finds joy in their joy. Peyton kept exclaiming "I love Great Gram's house!!".






Grandma has lived in her home for over 40 years. Oh the memories are endless. It made my heart smile to see my kids playing in her big front yard just as I did at their age. She seemed happy too.








There is no one that can make the faces my Grandma can make. I could fill an entire room with them from over the decades!




My mom's travel companion and sixth child (the easiest by far), Bernice. After a baby bath.


My kids think my mom is a walking jungle gym. Everyone waiting in line to get knocked off the "horsie". What a Grandma!


The Embassy Suites has to be the best hotel ever. Large rooms, and a huge made-to-order breakfast each morning. It has the most beautiful tropical design, complete with turtles walking around! The kids were in heaven!






The view from the glass-enclosed elevator! They felt so special.


It is no longer an option to stay at my Grandma's with such a wild bunch, so the hotel was a great runner-up. The indoor pool was a hit with everyone!





Ruby's is sort of a traditional place to eat. Upon meeting mom and Gma there, I quickly realized her mood was solemn and somber. She was very quiet and much less interactive. I know it must be so confusing in her mind. My mom was able to squeeze out a smile with a tickle.



And on the last day, we met mom and Grandma at church. Grandma doesn't get to church as often anymore, and she doesn't usually remember people's names. But she seems happy to be there and sings every word of the hymns. (aren't they cute?


In addition to a trip, the girls got several lessons on compassion and caregiving from watching my mom!


They even got turns pushing the wheelchair. Grandma kept saying "Well, who's pushing me now??".


And finally, Grandma's traditional Marie Callendar's stop for a post-church lunch. Four generations here! Grandma was too hungry to care about pics!



I am so glad Alyson got to be with us for this trip. Living in Utah, it's much harder to do these sorts of trips. It was very special to her.


These two. Peas in a pod, I tell ya. One year apart and inseparable. They fight and play over and over and over. Not just cousins, but friends.


Alyson sure loves her Grandma. Time together is so rare and special. She has a special spot in Grandma's heart as the oldest grandchild.


And Lexi Leilani could snuggle with Grandma all day long. Grandma's sure are special! I love the saying "Grandma's are moms with lots of frosting".


THANK YOU Mom, for making this trip possible. It was worth every bit of work and energy. The memories are priceless. True reminders of what love and family mean.

4 comments:

britt said...

what a neat family time together, and such a great memory for the girls!

Eliza2006 said...

That looks like such a great time and I think you are super woman for even being able to muster the energy to pack the car for 4 kids!

Unknown said...

seeing these pictures of you with your grandmas made me cry. I miss mine so much. I have good memories of your mom's mom too. She was always so fun and sweet. I am glad you got to do this!

Janessa Couch said...

What a fun Aunt and Mom and Grandma to take the time to do that. I think I would have opted for the easy way out, but like Brittany said the memories will be great.