Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Mom Shirl and Family

It has always been an easy distinction for me when talking about my two Grandmas. One is Grandma....and the other is Mom Shirl. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Apparently, she didn't like the sound of "Grandma" when the title was finally hers. So the grandkids would resort to "Mom". But then that got really confusing....so they stuck her name to the end of it. And *poof*, "Mom Shirl" was born.

In fact, my dad's side of the family is filled with unique titles. Since the roots originate from Spain, Uncles are "Tio" and Aunts are "Tia". And my dad's dad & step-mom were shortened version of Abuelo and Abuela: Wello and Wella. It all made a lot of sense to me as a kid.

Anyway, my Mom Shirl is one of the sweetest, nicest, littlest, faithful, most thoughtful and most genuine people I know. Really, she is. I've always been jealous of my cousins that lived down the street from her and shared in her daily life. Lucky for me, she is unusually good about sending cards, writing (typing) letters and sending gifts. Has been her whole life. I'm 33 and have NEVER missed a birthday card from her. Nor have my kids or siblings. It is incredible.

Especially now that she's 84. And her health is deteriorating. In fact, she's in need of heart surgery and has chosen not to go that route. The risk and recovery sounds worse to her than enjoying her last months on Earth. The doctors will be surprised if she lives much more than 3-6 months, which is a strange thing to hear. To be given a time-line on your mortality is unnatural.
Since all of my family (both sides) live in the surrounding areas of Anaheim, it's not hard to hop around and do some visits. I am so glad we were able to spend a long afternoon just being together.

My kids and my cousin's kids (whatever THAT makes them?) had SO much fun playing together. For 6 solid hours, with NO problem. Amazing!



(This mini-bounce house sure helped though)



My cousin Kelly is my only girl cousin. She and I are only like 5 months apart and have always been really close. Kelly has some really challenging health problems, but was blessed to feel well during our visit. She loves little children and gathered this group to do a nail painting session!!! (well, except Jared!).




I made Kelly a memo-board while I was there :-)


Mom Shirl is only 4'8"! Here she is with 8 of her almost 13 great-grandchildren.



Peyton: "I really like that girl with the blue nails".


Kelly, my Tia Deane, Mom Shirl, Tia Toni (Dad's sisters) and me. I love these women so much. I could spend endless hours talking and sharing in their wisdom and love.



My Tio Ray is a Pastor and also a self-taught musician. He and my cousin-in-law Diana have sung Praise together for over 20 years! I requested a mini-concert.



Mom Shirl was captivated. She loves to listen to them Praise God.


My handsome cousin RayRay joined in on the guitar (after MUCH begging on my part). It was truly beautiful music they made.


Mom Shirl was sharing her lipstick with Peyton and Victoria.


These two played together so well! They are 1 1/2 years apart, but were total buddies.


Priceless memories!!!

2 comments:

britt said...

you are always making such fond memories for yourself AND your kids. Family is soo wonderful!

K Western said...

What cute posts of your Grandmas. Looks like good memories!