Monday, August 31, 2009

Pivital Paths - My Random Thoughts

I love the email that goes around about friends who come into your life for "a reason, a season or a lifetime". Years ago when I first read this, it really helped me to categorize and appreciate all the different friends/family I have.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season

LIFETIME [usually family] relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person or people involved; and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships, and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant. [i believe these can often be the most painful, yet bring the most growth and true happiness]

I am old enough now to be able to look back and clearly see some pivital moments where friends/family steered me onto a path that ended up really defining who I am....but I didn't know it at the time. I wanted to jot down a few that I can see clearly now (definitely not all, but all my tired brain can come up with...beginning post-high school). This is not a comprehensive list of those that influenced me (because that would be endless)....but more experiences that changed either where I lived, who I met, where I worked, etc...that then led me to pivital changes:

-Brittany Asplund Hanamaikai: Invited me to live with her out of high school. First experience out of the house and on my own.

Tara Heinzen: lifelong friend.....but when I moved home from UT after only four months (swearing to never return), she said "Hey, J, I have an apartment in Liberty Square in UT lined up in a few months, will you move in with me?". I found the word "sure!" coming out of my mouth, and a few months later I returned and LOOOOOVVVED it (met Jessica :-). Changed my life.

-Terra Hartman (roomate): Mentioned some random place she worked called "Ricardo's". A hole in the wall, but when I returned to UT a year later, that was the first place I applied. Life-changing. It was there I met Sarah Roha, and after three years of friendship, it was only through her that I met Tucker.

-Brittany and Karli (again): Decided to go to BYU-Hawaii. Encouraged me to apply with them.....and a few months later we were landing for a year of life-changing experiences in HI! And it was there that I met my lifetime friend Tiffany.

Tiffany Lord: Because of Tiffany's career in teaching Visual Impaired children, I am looking into Master's programs for the same field. Would have never otherwise thought of it.

Emily Wildey: A woman I only met a couple times, but she was Kristy's homeschool coordinating teacher. She mentioned to me one day "let me know if you ever need a part time job....I'll recommend you at my school". And that sparked my beginning of going back to school to get my teaching credential.

Heather Brasil: A friend of mine who happened to start the credential program right before me.....how I learned about National University and she encouraged me lots along the way.


And this just scratches the surface! But these small examples show how others can be such vital instruments in our paths. Simple conversations can be answers to prayers. We may never know when we provide that to someone else.....or when we will experience that. Isn't it awesome to think about? I look forward to seeing this continue in my life.....and the lives of my loved ones.

4 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

It is pretty neat to see how if one thing was different in life how so many thing would have changed. I would have never thought the day that Sister Specht asked me if I wanted to apply to work at the School District office that I would meet my future husband there. What a fun post!

britt said...

that was inspiring to read. I always come away after reading your blog, with something to ponder and appreciate more. I only wish I was better at writing down my thoughts and insight as you are!

Eliza2006 said...

Life is pretty amazing, isn't it? I often think of the different paths that lead me to where I am...divine intervention if you will. Critical decisions along the way lead me directly to my kids! I'm forever grateful!

xoxoxoxo

Chris Grover said...

sooo true, jamie. those little life-changing moments and the people who initiate them -- i don't believe for a second that those things happen by chance! i still feel like it's a dream sometimes that we spent that year in HI! i don't have a computer right now, so the only chance i get to check blogs is when chris gets home from work, so i have just spent some time catching up and i just LOVE, LOVE reading your posts. they are funny to reflective to interesting to genuinely vulnerable and i love getting to peek into your life and heart! you are a special girl, jamie!