Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's Official!

So I'm officially a teacher.....but without a job. So maybe that's not so official? But I'm officially credentialed! Seeing this certificate makes me so relieved. It is not so much that its HARD to become certified.....but there are so many hoops to jump through that it takes an immense amount of determination and stamina to stick with it. So many state tests, SOOOO many observations (of myself), so much homework, so much being on-the-spot. After I started the program, there were several times I thought "are you kidding? is this worth it?". But I cannot stand to not finish something once I've committed, so I kept trudging forward. I'm really glad I did. I learned a lot!

But it's a strange position to be in now. Lots of excitement that I'm finished....but aren't I supposed to have a classroom now? Not lots of teaching jobs in my area currently. So I'm going to substitute teach full-time right now. A little anti-climatic, but I'm okay with it.

I've also had several new thoughts running through my head...one of which is to continue with school and get more specific in my certifications. What I'm leaning toward at the moment is a Visual Impairment AND an Orientation & Mobility certification (like my good friend Tiff!). That would give me a little more of a niche. Since working with children with visual impairments is a profession in high demand, most colleges have grant money to offer if you complete their program. Only problem is, there are only two colleges in California who offer it. And they aren't accepting applicants at the moment (due to lovely budget cuts).

Anyway, so many thoughts jumbled around in my head at what's next. But I really am happy substituting right now. I will still get classroom exposure and experiences....but will be flexible at the same time. Not sure where this path will continue to lead me, but for now I'm giving myself a big high five for getting to this point of completion!

6 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I'm high fiving you back! I always like to have a plan a, b, c, d, e, and f! No wonder I like you so much!

kris said...

Congratulations Jamie! Welcome to the world of teaching! Wish you were certified in Maryland!! Kris

Debbie said...

way to go jamie!!! it is amazing that you did it with 3 small kids.

Melvin and Carly said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. And I'm sure you can keep plenty busy with subbing.

Janessa Couch said...

Good for you! It is so impressive when a Mother finishes school. I hope that whatever you do, you will love and it will all work out for you.

Beth said...

It is so commendable! I'm so happy and relived for you. It is such security. Congratulations.