Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back to School Dinner






Last year was our first annual "Back to School Dinner". Tonight, we did it again. It's a very simple concept and I hope we continue it as a family tradition. The kids absolutely love it.

I let them pick the menu. This year it was:
Mashed potatoes and Gravy, Orange Chicken, Caesar Salad and Rice

Plus, they got to each decorate their very own cake for dessert, along with ice cream.

We used our "fancy" glasses, and filled them with their beverage of choice: Pepsi (caffeine free, because bedtime is precious to me!).

The kids wore some home-made crowns and I had some Beatles playing in the background. We just talked about their feelings on the upcoming school year and how excited they are to be in 1st and 2nd grades!

We ended the evening with Tucker giving the girls a father's blessing for the upcoming school year. And then they played outside until the 487th time we asked them to come in and take showers. It was a good night.

2 comments:

britt said...

I may have to steal that idea :) Your creativity amazes me!

Melvin and Carly said...

I bet your girls love it. I wanted to do something like that for Audrey but I didn't have my act together. But she just saw the pictures of the cake (with all the colors) and thought it was pretty. She wants to know how you got the batter so many colors. (Me too!)