Sunday, August 16, 2009

Our Sunday


My girls, this morning, before church. Aren't they cute?

Today was a good Sunday. I was in a surprisingly peaceful mood today. Often, on Sunday, I fight the urge to be antisocial and have fleeting thoughts of not going to church. I never give into that urge, and I usually am fine once I'm there, but for some reason I fight it often. I can be a bit reclusive at times. Anyway...

You would think that today I would have felt that a little EXTRA because I had to speak in sacrament meeting. And I had to do sharing time in Primary with my 10 year old class. AND, I had to be more on-the-ball than usual because Tucker had church meetings early this morning (and every Sunday going forward) so I was getting the girls ready solo. But, like I said, I was surprisingly calm.

At the risk of sounding wimpy, I really dread getting the girls ready....especially by myself. Of course I am perfectly capable of it, but I just have to really prep myself for the drama that unfolds. With three girls, there is ALWAYS some hair/clothes/shoe issue/or for the two year old its the "I just want to be completely NAKED" issue/or my 7 year old wanting to squeeze into size 5T clothing.... and it feels like I'm on a reality TV show trying to figure out the secret combination to win the prize (which is getting out the door on time). In fact, sometimes it can get so extreme with tears and complaints that I think it must be a set-up and any minute someone will laugh and say "just kidding". But that hasn't happened yet. So often, it feels easier to stay home than to go through the process. (ha, wish me luck with school this year!)

All in all, I really do love having girls. I love having MY girls. It's familiar, its fun, it's comfortable, it's something I know well. But it is SO draining SO often. They truly do love each other so much, and I am so thankful that all three of them play together ALL the time. But mingled with that playing is just flat out exhaustive drama. I'm pretty certain I better get used to it because I don't see it changing soon. Embrace the drama, Jamie!

4 comments:

Beth said...

love a little current glimpse into your daily life.

britt said...

I can so relate to the Sunday MOOD issue (it seems no matter how much I prepare ahead of time, there is still soo much stress) and often wanting to just skip going to church all together. MIne mostly because I just get to sit in nursey for 2 hours. Hope you talk went well! I am sure it did :)

Janessa Couch said...

Yep, I feel the same way on Sundays. You are the Valiant 10 teacher now? What a fun calling.

Melvin and Carly said...

I can't imagine having 3 girls to get ready for church! Audrey is hard enough all by herself, and that's even with having her pick out her clothes the night before and everything. Luckily, my boys aren't picky about what they wear. We meet at 8:30am and it's tricky to get there on time!

I'm sure your talk and your sharing time were great!