Thursday, September 03, 2009

Kristy in Ohio

Last weekend, I had a very unique opportunity. My youngest sister, Kristy, has been living in Ohio for a few months and I was fortunate to get to fly out there for a few days to help her re-locate, get a little more settled, and register for school.

After two years of trying to find her "path", Kristy is feeling happy and relieved to be settled for a while in Ohio. Although its quite far away from home, its also helping her to fully experience the "growing up" process.

Being 12 years apart, Kristy and I live in such different worlds....different stages of life. And its been that way our whole lives. But the good thing with family is you crave finding the ways you CAN connect, you CAN support and CAN love one another....even if the differences outweigh the similarities. That's the sort of re-connecting type weekend that Kristy and I were able to share. I was able to spend a few days in "her" world spending un-destiacted time together (i.e. kid-less!). It was totally priceless to me!

After a 14 hour red-eye journey to Ohio (including three flights), I arrived on a mission. It consisted of : apartment, school, bonding, shopping, sister-time. We ended up finding a perfect room-for-rent, in a nice suburb of Cleveland, near Cuyahoga Community College and central to all she'll need. Her roomates couldn't be nicer, more normal and better suited for her. Her room is completely furnished (perfect for someone who travels with only a suitcase full of clothes!) and all we needed to get was bedding and a rug! She is starting a full-time job next week and is taking a weekend math class. We both were breathing sighs of relief over and over during the weekend because things were falling into place just the way she'd hoped. I assured Kristy that SHE had developed the vision and desire, so good things were coming. I'm so proud of the things she's conquered and the path she's headed down.


Love, love, love the view from the airplane of clouds! And me by the Cleveland Hard Rock.



Kristy's home is in a cute and safe neighborhood near University Heights, Cleveland


What a fun bedroom! And we took so many pics of ourselves (Kristy's passion, lol)


Here is the Cafe we ate at and the beautiful landscape in the background.


I was excited to see a White Castle fast food joint. I've always heard about it! Yummy!!


At the airport, saying goodbye. Love you lots Kristy. Thanks!! Can't wait till next time!



Ohio is a beautiful state, and it was fun to be near the East coast. I could just tell I was NOT in California anymore. And anytime we told people we were from CA, they acted like we may as well be celebrities! I'm sure they don't picture our little farming area of CA. Since we were both total strangers to the Cleveland area, we did a lot of driving around. We had a GPS map with us which was a total life saver! We drove down toward Lake Erie (about 20 min from her apartment) and walked around some shopping areas. Ate at a YUMMY cafe by the West side Market. We talked a ton and just enjoyed eachother's company. I'm pretty sure this will stay in my memory bank as one of the top experiences I cherish.


I, of course, brought my girls back a little souvenier. They really had a hard time with me leaving. Seems like they never did when they were younger, but I think they realize more that they rely on me and that things are (good but) different with just daddy. I brought them just random knick-knacks from this fun store...including wax lips! I totally remember loving wax lips, don't you Carly? Anyway, these girls love their Aunt Kristy soooooo much, and understood that I was going to be with her. Before I left, I asked them what they wanted me to bring them back and Jordyn thought for a minute and then said "I want you to bring back KRISTY!". Cute girl.



I was so excited to see my fam when I returned....and I realized the girls felt the same way when Jordyn said "Mom, at night in my bed I cried because I missed you!". Awwwwww, *sniff*. Love you girls!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah for Kristy- she is lucky to have you. NExt time I might sneak into your suitcase. Ryan left this morning for 4 days and I know my kids were a little more sad than usual- and I can't tell you how sad I am. It is hard to be a single parent when you are 8+ months prego but I know we will survive!

britt said...

Sounds like a great weekend, for you and Christy. Probably exactly what you both needed! You are a tremendous example to your sis and I am sure she admires you greatly!!

Beth said...

I love those one on one times with sisters. I'm sure she appriciated your help. You two look so pretty in your pictures.

conrad said...

Thank you sounds so trivial of a comment for what you did. Helping Kristy get set up and creating special memories for you and your sister are priceless lifelong treasures. So at the risk of sounding trivial, Thank You:)

K Western said...

That was fun to see Kristy. She is such a sweet girl. I loved being her Beehive adviser (so long ago).