Monday, March 30, 2009

6th Grade

So for the rest of the school year, I'll be in a 6th grade classroom! Today was my first official day. Talk about a different world than 1st grade! I feel so strange that the kids just run out to recess....or come back from recess.....alone. And they walk to the cafeteria alone. I was so used to walking the little kids everywhere (in a straight line)! And it's also strange to see the teacher give them a set of Math problems...and then they just work on them independently for a while. And during that time, we can even have a small conversation! If I had tried to have a conversation with Mrs. Garza in 1st grade, the kids would have been wild & crazy in about one minute.

I'm also in a totally different school district - Clay Elementary. Clay is run almost exactly like a private school, but it is a public charter school. There is only one class per grade level, and so the kids stay with the same group (for the most part) from Kindergarten through 8th grade. They also have a lot of other extras (that most districts have cut) like a music teacher and aides in the classroom. It's very small and intimate, like a family. I'm excited to experience another district and to widen my perspective.

I have to admit that I feel a little tired of being "on the spot". I'm not naturally a competitive, showy person....or someone who craves the limelight. But student teaching really is like a 18 week job interview! People are watching and noticing every thing you do! I can't wait until I'm acclimated to the classroom, know the kids names and get a feel for a group of 6th graders! Whether they realize it or not, even though I look like a confident adult, I probably feel just as shy and intimidated as they do at the age of 12!

The content of 6th grade is much more intense than 1st grade! You really have to know what you're talking about! My master teacher is a couple years younger than me, no kids and she's been teaching for maybe 6 years. Our personalities seem to mesh well, and I'm so thankful for that! Once I find my groove, I think I'll enjoy this experience. At least I hope!

5 comments:

K Western said...

Wow! 6th graders! Definitely a different level of maturity. You'll do a great job. You always look so confident, even if you don't feel like it underneath, I never would've guessed so.

Beth said...

I want to hear details about your opinion about what you like, or don't like about the smaller charter setting. Where is Clay county? You are so close to just being done. Less intense might be a nice change.

britt said...

oh that excites me to hear where you are now. I bet that school atmosphere is quite unique and the grade change is like night and day. I LOVED 6th grade, but you are right you have to know your stuff and its a lot harder to "wing it". You will be admired and fit in so well, once you get your little groove, with those 6th graders. I am excited to hear about as you go along!! good luck.
you will do awesome!

Melvin and Carly said...

Good luck! I hope you acclimate quickly. No doubt you'll do a great job.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

How exciting!! Can't wait to hear all about your experience.

P.S. Could you email us your address. I want to make sure I have the right one- I have something I want to send you.