Saturday, March 28, 2009

So Dissapointing!


My mother-in-law Jeannine makes the most amazing bread!!! She gave me the recipe years ago, but I have been to scared to try until recently. I have made it a few times, but with half wheat flour and it's turned out yummy.

But today I decided to try to make it exactly like she does (or at least try). I took so much time and care, and Tucker even helped me braid it (or, again, try) because, to him, that is a critical characteristic of "Mom's bread".

The house started smelling just like Jeannine's and I was so anxious to see how it turned out!

When it was finally done, I waited about two whole minutes and cut into it. Hooray, the texture was very close to hers! I almost felt proud....until I took a bite. S-A-L-T!!! Yuck!

What the heck? I distinctly recalled putting two tablespoons of salt, exactly how her recipe called for.

And then I remembered.

I bought "self rising flour". Which means it contains salt AND baking soda.

What a sad, sad, sad thing. I tried to eat is several different ways...but there was no way around it being gross. Pretty, but gross.

I learned a good lesson!! And I'll try again soon.

1 comment:

britt said...

i've done that b4 with something (I can't remember what it was), but I did tablespoons instead of teaspoons. soo disappointing. they do LOOK good though!