Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Last Day!

So I made it through today! I said goodbye to all the kids and didn't even let them see the tears. I know that probably isn'thealthy, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to control them (from sadness....but also a stress release type cry) if I let them out and I didn't want to actually scare the poor things.

Mrs. Garza had the kids each write me a letter and draw a picture, and then bound it into a book for me. How nice!!! The notes were so cute and my favorite part is that almost all the kids drew me with blonde, brown and orange hair all together. Very accurate!

She gave me the whole afternoon to do what I wanted (about 1 1/2 hours). So I read the letters out loud, gave them a little thing I made with a picture of them with me in it, and then we went outside to play buddy-tag (I think we used to call it Fag Tag, but I didn't teach them that!). They loved it. Although, keeping 21 6 year olds in line isn't any easier outside than in the classroom! We played Mother May I and then I taught them "Rigabamboo". Then I gave them popsicles and it was time for hugs! That's when I almost lost it because some of them would NOT let go! Luckily they are in Jordyn's grade, so I'll see them frequently I'm sure.

Some of them even adorned me with presents: a teddy bear from Evelie's bed, a bracelet from Ravinder, a note from Gabriela, a cell phone rhinestone case from Jennifer (all used, by the way). But that meant even more to me that they would give me their things.

Very sweet! Loved my experience!!! I'm anxious to find out what the next 9 weeks will be like!

And I am crossing every finger and toe that Jordyn keeps it together with me leaving her school. She's really been doing well emotionally since I've been there, and I saw that look in her eye today afterschool like "I'm falling apart". Poor girl.

3 comments:

Beth said...

that is great that it has been so special for Jordyn that you have been there. Looking forward to your next adventure!

Janessa Couch said...

Hopefully your next group will be as fun as the first. Good luck, and I hope that Jordyn gets along well without you.

Global Girl said...

I know the feeling! Tired as anything, but loving the work :)