Friday, June 20, 2008

Funny Friday

This is the first summer my girls are really aware of the differences in their skin color. And they've been asking me more about it...like in the bath tub "mom, why is Lexi's skin so brown?", that sort of thing.

So, along the lines of skin color, I have a funny story: The other night, Jordyn, Peyton and I were at a little Mexican restaurant (Tucker was working late and Lexi was having a special date with Grandma) and we were chatting. Jordyn was asking me things like if her chicken nuggets were considered Mexican food. And then she was asking me if Mexican people speak only Spanish. So I was giving her examples of Mexican children that were in her Kindergarten class who speak both English and Spanish.

She thought about that for a minute and then she said, "So, is Lexi Mexican?".

I paused.

"You mean Lexi, your sister?" I asked, thinking she was kidding.

"Mmmm-hmmmm" Jordyn answered and she was really serious.

"You mean because her skin is brown?" I asked.

"Yeah" Jordyn said...still waiting for my answer.

So I went on to explain that just because someone's skin is brown, that's not enough to qualify as a Mexican. I tried to explain that their family was born in Mexico, etc. But I found the whole thing so funny and I was definitely caught me off guard!!! Good one Jordyn!

5 comments:

britt said...

that is a REALLY funny story! It's funny because a neighbor and I were actually talking about funny/embarrassing things our kids have said and she said her son called some "chocolate". (meaning someone with brown skin)

Unknown said...

So funny! My kids have noticed that about Ava too- but she is Mexican!

Carlotta said...

I shouldn't read blogs at work, cause then stories like this come up and I laugh out LOUD! This is great! One of those times you try not to laugh at your kids cause they are sincerely being serious but it is HILARIOUS!!

Katie said...

That is so funny, but I love that she is so observant! Way to go!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

LOL!! That is really really funny. Don't you just love the things kids say.