Friday, June 13, 2008

Flashback Friday

My sis Carly and I in 1981 or so. We had sponge rollers in our hair ALL the time! Especially Saturday night for church the next day. I remember my hair would shrink to about 1/8 the length it really was! My mom would always wrap our heads in silky scarves to sleep in so the rollers wouldn't come out.


Here are my girls last night with their first sponge rollers! They have recital rehearsal today and I'm experimenting with something more than the curling iron. Brought back memories!!

5 comments:

Tara said...

I remember that SO well!!! I tried it once with Jade, but it didn't work with her hair too well, her hair was never long enough. I love the flashback, so many memories!

sosilly said...

#1. That is so adorable and feels like yesterday of you and Carly. The silk scarves were from Thailand. Aunt Yoon gave them to me. One was blue and one was green. They had this silver design on them with a lace trim.
Rituals run deep!

#2. That is hysterical to see almost 3 decades (oops!) later to see my granddaughters in "sponge rollers"!
MOM

Melvin and Carly said...

So cute! My sister and I spent many nights in those pink sponge rollers ourselves. I remember we kept them in an old peanut butter jar under the bathroom sink...and my hair would only be curly for about an hour after we took them out. Not nearly long enough!

By the way, love the footed pajamas!

julie said...

I remember Diane putting Karli and Brittany's hair every Saturday night when we were kids! I had forgotten about doing that. Maybe I will try it with Ava but I highly doubt that she would even consider sleeping with them in her hair.

britt said...

I too did the sponge roller myself EVERY saturdaynight for church. And now I do it with Ame, once in a while. It does shrink her hair A LOT! but it hold the curl sooo much better than the curling iron, especially since she has such straight hair. Iwant to find some bigger roller though, hers are smaller ones.
how did it turn out???