Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Sweet Grandma

My sweet little Grandma is 80 and lives alone. She is pre-Alzheimer's and is not doing so well taking care of herself these days. I was able to go down to her house in Anaheim last weekend and took Jordyn with me. She was excited to have a little one-on-one trip with me, and I was excited for her to help me love and serve her Great-Grandma.

We had the best time with her. Any time she would start to get into a zoned-out mode or too forgetful, all she would have to do is look at Jordyn and she would light up 100%. They played and teased and Grandma kept saying how she couldn't believe how big Jordyn was and how much she looked like me. She even remembered her name most the time, which was a big deal.

When we got there, we hung out with her for a bit and I massaged her feet with lotion and cut her toenails. She really liked that. Then we went to eat at Carrows, which is one of her favorite placed (like Denny's). My cousin Michael came to hang with me around 10:00, after Jordyn and Grandma went to bed. We talked until after 2:00 am! Which I thought would be fine because Grandma usually sleeps in, but the next morning she came in where i was sleeping all dressed for the day saying "I can't believe you're really here!!!" (over and over and over).

Then we spent a full day together! We took her to church, ate at Marie Callendars, and even took her to the movies!! We saw "Up", which was an interesting choice since it was all about an elderly man who lost his wife. She really had fun being out. She walks really slow and I hold her arm the whole time. She gets confused easily, but she also loves being on the go. I always play "her" music for her and she remembers nearly every word of songs from the 40's. Between the music, the food and Jordyn, she stayed very happy and in the moment most the trip. I loved every second of it and am SOOOO glad Jordyn came with me. She didn't want to go home. I'm so glad she made memories at Grandma's house the way I have them from when I was a kid. Next time it will be Lexi's turn!

A pedicure!


Eating at Carrow's!

A manicure!

She just loved Jordyn!


Jordyn took this pic of the front of Grandma's big yard


Jordyn took lots of pics of herself....she was the photographer all weekend!

Before church! It was strange, once we got to church I became "Pam" (my mom) to Grandma and she introduced me as her daughter Pam. She only did that at church, and then went back to Jamie.

At Marie Callendars. Such a cute picture!


A kiss for Grandma!

This is a pic of them being really goofy together!


Just a beautiful tree we loved by Marie Callendars. I love palm trees.

On the way to Gma's church, there is this tree with the most ridiculously HUGE roots coming really high off the ground. Here is Jordyn standing by the roots!



Then finally the movie theatre! Grandma hadn't been in who-knows-how-long and she really liked it!




Sweet, priceless memories. This is the stuff that life's all about.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You will never regret taking the time to do this! One of the last things I did for my grandma was rub her feet too. Time goes to quickly so cherish every moment:)

Janessa Couch said...

I love how often you go to visit with your grandma. The night before my grandma passed away I was suppose to go to a Pampered Chef Party. Mitchell said he was going to take the girls to see Grandma (we had no idea she was going to die) I said, okay I will go with you. The next day she passed away. I will always cherish those last moments that I had with her and I am so glad that I do not have any regrets!!!

Tara said...

You are something else Jay. With everything you do, you also take time for your grandmother. I can't get over how much you handle in your life, and I am in awe that you could possibly look even MORE beautiful than you usually look. But you are aging well my friend. You amaze me, you are such a wonderful mom to give Jordyn these experiences, while tackling everything a working mom has to deal with, and then some. The girls are growing so fast too! I hope to see you sometime this summer, love you!

MJW said...

Well documented and probably one of the best conversations in my life.