Friday, June 26, 2009

Flashback Friday - Judy


Tucker's Aunt Linda recently email us this really cute picture of Tucker's parents! It was taken in 1972 and his mom was about 5 months pregnant with him. They were around the ages of 25 (Judy) and 27 (Neal).

I've never met Judy. She died of complications with Leukemia when Tucker was 13 years old. Just as he started his Freshman year of High School and about one month before he turned 14. Tucker is the oldest of five kids, so she obviously left a lot behind. I have known Tucker for about 10 years now and I ponder this part of his "story" continually. I think of it from a mother's perspective and how it would feel to leave my children so young. I think of it from a husband's perspective and how helpless and lonely he must have felt. I think of it from a child's perspective and how lost and sad the children must have felt. I think of it from a sibling perspective, and how hard it would be to lose a sister. And the list goes on and on. I just simply cannot imagine it.

Tucker's family talks about Judy a lot. There are several stories that live on. From her journals, other's memories of her and these stories, I feel as though I know her a little. She was energetic, fun, optimistic, little and everyone who knew her loved her. So often, I wonder what she would think of me, or how she would be with our kids and even how Tucker's life would be different had she lived. Maybe he and I would have never crossed paths? So much would be different.

What I do know is that I have the most wonderful mother-in-law there could ever be in Jeannine. For the past 19 years, she has continued the big job of raising Judy's children in her absence. She is one of the strongest women I have ever met. Someday, I look forward to meeting my other mother-in-law Judy! She'll be able to tell me about Tucker's first 13 years of life....and I'll be able to tell her about the rest.

6 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Such a sweet post. Made me get a little teary. Tucker is lucky to have both his mothers and you.

britt said...

I can't even imagine that loss, from any of those positions! thanks for sharing :)

Beth said...

I had to magnify this picture to confirm that Judy and Jordyn look a lot a like. Great post.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Beautiful post Jamie. Thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

Really sweet Jay, made me cry. I can't even imagine. wow.

Lyme Girl said...

Jamie,
I checked out your blog today to see if you'd posted anything about Elaine and was delighted to see the fun pictures and tribute to her. I also discovered this cute post about Judy. I know she is pleased with Tucker's choice for his wife. You and your children remind me so much of her. She always wanted red-headed children! Tucker is indeed lucky to have had two great moms! Love, Linda (Judy's sister)