Friday, April 06, 2007

Through the Eyes of a 5 Year Old

Conversation the other night as Jordyn got into bed...

J: Mom, when you and Daddy got married, were you asleep and then he kissed you and you woke up and got married?

Me (confused at first): Ummm......oh (smile) No sweetie, that was just for Snow White.

J: No, it was for Sleeping Beauty too Mom.

Me: Okay, that's true. But no, that didn't happen with Mommy and Daddy. We talked about getting married for a long time before it happned.

J (a little dissapointed): Did you dance before you got married?

Me: We danced AFTER we got married.

J (big grin): Oh mom, I want to get married so bad!


This type of thing is a common topic around our house. So I was thinking about it and feeling a little guilty that my kids know SOOOO much about EVERY Princess and her "story", but can't quote the scriptures or don't know the president of the USA, etc. Why can't they make a kids version of the scriptures - but all in Princess Parables? And along this same thought...why can't they market Princess Apples and Squash? Why not Princess Wheat Chex? It always has to be fruit snacks and the way tooooo sugary cereal they market to kids! (by the way, you could substitute princess for anything kids love - Dora, Thomas, Spiderman, etc).

Anyway, cute conversations and a little note to self to teach my kids that there is a world outside Cinderella or Ariel! But I am trying: We have been talking about stars lately and this week the girls memorized all the planets names in order!

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a cute story! I love little girls and their imaginations, but I think you make a great point about priorities... I am always looking for hints of wisdom for when I have my children, I am going to log this one away! Side note... I was always embarrassed in primary or in Sunday school because I didn't know my scripture stories and all the other kids did.