Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saturday Chores

Growing up, we had Saturday morning chores.  I remember getting my cd player, and cleaning supplies and – though I’m sure I wasn’t always happy and cheerful about it – I enjoyed the sense of teamwork and accomplishment I felt.

 

With the ages of my girls, we are now full-swing into Saturday Chores.  When they are really little, it’s hard to just hand them a list and say go-for-it.  But now, Jordyn and Lexi are able to dive in…and Pey can usually follow suit (thought she still often reminds us she is 4 and moody).


They do well with lists.  But no matter what, it usually starts off with some grumbling and complaining.  So much of it depends on my approach and attitude (like all things related to motherhood), and USUALLY I can get them “in the mood”.


There is a fine balance with the length of time.  Usually 2-3 hours of family cleaning time is our max.  If it’s drug out further, we lose their interest and the sense of accomplishment can wane a bit.  It’s all about the momentum.

Yesterday we cleaned to Bob Marley’s “Legend” album and our incentive was that Daddy would pull in the driveway about noon.  So we were trying to finish just in time.

I snapped some pics of the action:

 

(Pey sorting out her panties out of the pile of 1,000 panties)

_DSC0036 (3) 

 

Jo hanging up her clothes (if I remember correctly, I think Jordyn was getting ready to sneeze in this pic…thus the silly face).  Lexi unloading the dishwasher.

_DSC0035 (5) _DSC0034 (5)

 

Peyton posing by the vacuum cleaner :-)  and Jordyn’s chore list.  If I don’t write the list for them, they will literally spend an hour making their own with detailed decor and drawings all over them.  :-)

_DSC0033 (4) _DSC0032 (5)

No comments: