Saturday, April 17, 2010

So Thankful

On Wednesday morning I texted Lindy to tell her what time I'd pick up Lyric for preschool. Before I got her response, I jumped in the shower. As I was getting out, my cell phone kept ringing. No one really calls me (because they know I'm a texter) and so I found it strange that it kept ringing.

Next thing I knew, Tucker was handing me his phone saying "It's Lindy...I think something's wrong".

My heart started beating and I went into "emergency mode".

I could hardly understand her but she mumbled something about Mike....in an accident...at the hospital....doesn't know anything else.

It was slow motion and so scary. By this point, he had left for work three hours prior and so it had been three hours since the accident! My dad came to pick her up, I grabbed Lyric and my mom grabbed Paxton.

Hours later, we heard the news. He was okay. Got 8 staples in his head, a few stitches and was re-gaining memory (he had lost it for a bit). But it was a miracle.

On his way to work, in the dark, he had suddenly came upon a big tractor in the road. Tried to miss it, but ended up spinning out in front of a suburban. It was a horrible accident.

So bad, in fact, that when Lindy went to look at the car at the junk yard later that day, she was shocked. It did not look possible that a human survived. The only part of the car that WASN'T smashed in was the drivers door. There was no trunk left and she couldn't even find the middle console. A pen that was in Mike's pocket shattered. And all he got was a minor laceration.

Besides a seatbelt and airbag, there is no doubt in my mind that angels were surrounding him. It was not his time to go yet and I believe we all have angels around us all the time. Protecting us, helping us...both in big/scary times....and in small, unknown ways.

Later that day, I could not help but think about the "what ifs" and how life COULD'VE been forever different. But it wasn't. We were shaken up, but still functioned pretty normal (except Mike having to take a week off work to recover). And it could have changed every aspect of life. Our hearts could have been heavy. Just like "that". So fast. There is no way to prepare for the next sudden curve in the road of life. But we CAN try to let those experiences change our perception of the present moment....and enjoy it (both good and bad). Mike....so incredibly glad you're still with us!




4 comments:

K Western said...

Wow! I am so glad he is okay. That is all too scary. Let Lindy know we're thinking of her and her family.

britt said...

Wow that is soo scary and really does make one stop and think of the WHAT IF'S. SO glad he is OK!!

Eliza2006 said...

So scary!

Forgot to mention today that Kim was in an accident this past weekend and is in critical condition. Last I heard they were doing a CT scan to check for brain activity/damage. Life is fragile...that's for sure.

Janessa Couch said...

Oh my gosh! What a scary feeling. I got a phone call in August that my nephew was hit by a car while riding his bike. Heather did not know if he was alive or anything but that he was at the hospital. It was amazing that he lived to tell what happened and he is fine. The phone calls are so scary but she also knows that angels were watching over him. Mitchell had the privledge of helping with a Priesthood blessing and he felt other hands in the circle. The veil is thin. So glad they are all doing well!