Friday, April 09, 2010

So Long, Farewell!

I have never thought of myself as very book-smart. I mean...sure... I've done a lot of schooling. But I don't think that necessarily means I'm smart...like really IQ-smart. And I don't think you have to be really smart in order to do a lot of schooling.

I think the word is determined. And I think that's what I am is determined.

I usually won't do something unless I can do it 100%. And once I decide to do something, the determination sets in and even if it kills me...I'll do it. That's probably why it takes me so long to make decisions....because I know there's no turning back for my personality.

That's how I felt about this teaching job. Or, really, this whole entire teaching credential program. I didn't think I was the most qualified, or skilled or experienced at teaching (at all). But I did know that I would be determined to do whatever it took to make it work. Ask a million questions, Google a ton, and devote my heart to making it work.

I still don't think I was the BEST teacher, the most skilled or even the most effective. But I do know that today I got hugs from lots of moms. The sincere, heartfelt kind that say "Thank you for loving my child for the past few months...every single day!".

And the kids kept asking my why in the world I can't come back on Monday WITH Mrs. Robinson?

And the staff could not have been more gracious and kind! They got me a cake, and a card, gave me hugs, told me they'd miss me and booked me for future subbing jobs. Even the principal hugged me and said she wished she could keep me. Just nice, nice people.

I feel good. Like I just completed a huge marathon. A hard marathon that included a lot of frustration, exhaustion, tears, doubt, time, energy, professional growth, new friendships, support from my family, love and talking (ha ha). (It really is shocking how much a kinder teacher has to talk...and repeat).

Time to relax.....well, after the baptism this weekend. (yeah right...relax? what does that mean?).



4 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I'm jealous! You're summer vacation is starting early! I can't believe I have to make it through 8 more weeks. Sounds yucky, but it will be over in the blink of an eye.

Allan and Diane said...

Hey CONGRATS Jamie for surviving! I have been following your challenging and rewarding experiences with your K kiddies with some fond (and not so fond)memories. You have done a fab. job and now can sigh a HUGE relief and enjoy your summer. Hope you are fulfilled and I think that school will be looking for a way to get you back!

britt said...

I am sure you have so many mixed feelings right now. I can remember feeling that way at the end of each school year. And with the amount of work and heart you put in, even if it was for a short term, you deserve all those thank you's that you received. You are incredible smart and knowledgeable in soo many ways! Don't ever doubt yourself or think otherwise. YOU amaze me!!!

K Western said...

Yeah! You made it! What an accomplishment! Now you can enjoy the summer, right?
The Vegas trip looked like a ton of fun! I'm so happy you were able to meet half way with the Thurstons. What good memories!