Monday, December 28, 2015

Some of my O&M Clients

I really do love my job.  I am so grateful for it, and can't believe I get to do something I love as well as get paid for it.  It was so worth the crazy schooling I did to have this profession.  I love the flexibility, and the people I meet!

Here is Ray.  He has had low vision his whole life, but recently (in his late 40's) it rapidly declined and he realized he can no longer function without training or a cane.  He suffered from addictions and self esteem.  He lost his marriage because of it.  And he has turned his life around.  He is so funny and fun to work with.  No matter how scared something makes him feel, he is willing to do whatever lessons I request of him.  Simply being seen with his cane, in the daylight, has been a huge obstacle for him.  He can't stand the thought of people making fun of him or judging him.  We are not only working on safety skills, but how to become a self-advocate.


Briana is a freshman in high school.  Lost most of her sight at the age of 8 due to a sudden autoimmune disease...that could take the rest of her vision at any point.  She is shy and quiet and just wants to fit in.  She doesn't want to use a cane, but will use it on lessons when I request.  She is very sweet, and cooperative, but painfully shy and pretty sheltered by her parents.  I just want to help empower her.

Jaeleen is one of my most entertaining students.  She is 13 but acts much more like she is three.  She is the most social, outgoing girl.  She has a beautiful voice and can recognize anyone's voice even if she hasn't heard it for a decade!  But she lacks a level of common sense.  For example, in this picture she is holding a baby doll, but when asked what it was, she suggested it might be a "shoe" or a "panda"!  I love working with her, and she brightens my day when I see her.



 Ray is the client I've known the longest.  I've worked with him since 2012, and he is recently preparing to get his third guide dog.  However, his health is posing some concerns.  He reminds me of my grandpa Andy (who passed away in 1999).  He worked as a police officer until he woke up one day in his 50's with NO sight in one eye...and a few months later, lost the sight in his other eye. His life took a huge turn and his tenacity to push through this huge challenge is inspiring to me.




Leah is a sophomore in high school who has albinism.  This means she has a good amount of vision, but it can be very limited in certain lighting condition.  And would be similar to functioning in extremely thick fog.  For example, she can't see the stop light color from across the street.  So, while she doesn't currently use a cane, she is learning many other safety techniques to cross the street and particularly learn self advocacy to get what she needs in public/community situations.  I love her so much, she is the kindest and most motivated teen!  Her family is so supportive and her mother is so very complimentary of me...even comparing me to Annie Sullivan in Leah's life!   That's beyond a gratifying compliment!


 And here is Alan.  Alan is for sure one of my favorites!  I met him April of 2014.  He is a full time chiropractor in Selma, and he has been slowly losing vision for a long time.  But it just finally got bad enough for him to need some additional resources and training.  When I first met him, he was hesitant to even put a cane in his hand, but he for sure wouldn't do a lesson WITH a cane IN Selma where he lives.  So we had to meet in Fresno to do lessons for a long time.  Then, about 8 months later, he called me with horrible news. He had his eye pressure elevate to a dangerous level, which caused him to lose the rest of his vision.  I was so sad for him!  I then continued to train him throughout 2015, and he finally decided to apply for a guide dog.  In November, he went to Guide Dogs for the Blind and got Gordon!  He is such an example of persevering through really hard things.  I enjoy my time with Alan very much, and have learned a lot from him. I also love his girlfriend Debbie, one of the nicest people ever.


No comments: