Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Oprah's Life You Want Weekend - Seattle


Early in 2014, Katie texted me asking if I would want to go to Oprah's Life You Want weekend with her and Julie later in the year. All I knew was that I was going to cost $99, and that it was in Seattle. I didn't know much else, but I said of course! I thought it sounded really fun to have a girls weekend, plus I am a humongous Oprah fan.

I don't think anything would truly and accurately describe all the things I loved about the weekend. But I will try to sum it up!

(Doing a mud mask in our hotel room!)



So I was wondering, even though I was excited about the weekend, how anything I could hear oprah and her people speak about would be much different than all the super soul Sundays I have watched. But there is something extremely indescribable about the energy any emotion that filled the arena. On Friday, she had lots of tents set up from sponsors for you could take pictures, and get free things from the sponsors, like mascara, face lotion, and various items like that. Friday night at 6 o'clock everyone gathered inside the arena, which is like the save Mart Center. She had a DJ and there was lots of dancing and energy in the air before the show started. But once it was Oprah's turn to come out, The lights dimmed and her voice started speaking, and as she was talking, all 10,000 people had a bracelet on that they had to use to get into any events for the weekend, and all of a sudden the bracelet started glowing. It was so shocking, and it look like thousands of stars.
I actually took like three pages of notes that evening. She gave a 2-hour talk that sounded and felt like a two minute talk. It was so inspiring, and uplifting, and left tears streaming down everyone's faces! It was beautiful. If that would have been the end, it would've still been worth it. But the next day, Saturday, she had a whole day lined up. Everyone had a workbook handed to them as they walked in, so throughout the day opera had us turn to certain pages and do some really interesting life work sheets. Like a circle into a pie chart and putting the areas that you focus on in your life and then putting a :-) a happy face or a so-so face on how you feel you are doing in them. So it really made me reflect and be interactive in the whole process. It truly was amazing. It has made me come back with a renewed energy.

One of the many quotes: "What you focus on, EXPANDS". So I want to stop focusing on all the negatives and the frustrations, and put my focus on the blessings and let those expand. It's such a simple shift in mindset, but I feel determined to try it. One of the stages had us cross out self talk that we want to stop using and circle self talk that we want to start using. 


(Showing me Glo-Zelle YouTube videos!)





(The glowing bracelets!)





Before we left on Sunday, we had to do a little bit of sightseeing, so we went to the market and walked around, saw them throw the fish, saw the first Starbucks store, and visited the wall of gum! It was such beautiful weather, so cool and crisp and just overall very relaxing and inspiring. I'm so thankful I got to go! I'm especially grateful I got to go with Katie and Julie. They are like sisters to me and we had so much fun together.



No comments: