Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back in the Game



I have lost a certain amount of my energy toward motherhood the past year or so. I don't exactly know what I mean by that. Except that it doesn't feel "new" anymore, so it's easier to get stuck in ruts and forget to look for new & improved ways of doing things.

For so many years, everything felt new. And now it's just real life. Which isn't bad, but just verges on monotonous and exhausting.

So I was happy when my mom sent me a link to a very inspiring blog (you can see it here). There were several inspiring ideas and it gave me a renewed interest in giving my kids not just a "good enough" childhood, but striving for the BEST possible. That absolutely does not mean perfect. Nor does it mean I am capable of carrying out every single good idea that exists.

But it means that I will always be finding ways to improve. That I will be committed to being alert behind the wheel of motherhood so that I know which way to pull the wheel at each sharp turn in the road. I need to be the mother that MY kids need.

This goes so far beyond piano, dance, sports and church. Those are all commendable and even essential at times. But I am talking more about being a present mom. Being a focused mom. And more than ANYTHING....being a happy mom. A happy person for my kids.

I need to give them tools to use in the future. To learn from. To love themselves. To know where to turn and what to do when (not if) life throws crap in their face (to put it eloquently).

Anyway, today I made a little babystep in copying a good idea from that blog. I put up this chalkboard in our entryway. My goal is to put a different quote or scripture or motivational saying on it for our family to memorize and focus on each week. I will eventually give the girls turns to pick/write the quote.

I think it will be fun. Copy the idea if you like....and pass it on!




8 comments:

britt said...

thanks for sharing!!!
Its nice to know someone else is strugglinhg like I am!
I am excited to check out that site!!

ps YOU are an AMAZING MOM!! Don't get too down on yourself.

Unknown said...

I am REALLY good friend with the lady who writes the blogs- brother, Jonah. Small world- we went to Utah state together and have even stayed in touch a little. He is a FREE spirit. His blog is even listed on hers under Jo and Aja. Did you know their dad is a pretty famous author and they were all on Oprah when they were little? Where did you get the chalk board?

Jamie and Family said...

That is really funny Katie! Yes, my mom found her because she read ALL her parents books when I was young. Great family, great ideas.

I had a frame I'd gotten for another project....from like TJ Maxx or something, and just sprayed it with chalkboard paint I already had. Made it an easy spur-o-the-moment project!

Jill said...

I read that blog and did the same thing! I thought it was a great idea for making sure the kids see something postive and uplifting each day. Amanda even chose the quote last week. It's such a great idea! Your chalkboard is so much cuter than mine, though. :)

Eliza2006 said...

I've been thinking about this SO much lately. I was laughing as I was walking the kids into daycare the other day and it immediately changed the entire mood of the morning. I need to figure out how to be the best me for them. It's hard...I need to commit to take baby steps, maybe even a single baby step...

Jamie and Family said...

(Blogger isn't publishing my comments for some reason)

TIFF SAID:
I've been thinking about this SO much lately. I was laughing as I was walking the kids into daycare the other day and it immediately changed the entire mood of the morning. I need to figure out how to be the best me for them. It's hard...I need to commit to take baby steps, maybe even a single baby step...

Jamie and Family said...

(Blogger isn't publishing my comments...)

Jill said:
I read that blog and did the same thing! I thought it was a great idea for making sure the kids see something postive and uplifting each day. Amanda even chose the quote last week. It's such a great idea! Your chalkboard is so much cuter than mine, though. :)


(Jill, that is SOOO funny!!! Great minds think alike?)

K Western said...

What a great idea! I think I'll have to do that, too.
Looks like such a fun trip to Pismo and to the Zoo.