Saturday, April 18, 2009

What I'm Doing Instead of What I WANT to be Doing

What I WANT to be doing is updating my blog, relaxing and spending time with my kids.

What I AM doing is studying for yet another California State Test called the RICA exam - or the Reading Instruction Competency Assessment . Sound fun? I paid $165 to take it and, as I'm learning, many people fail the first try. I told my sixth graders (whom I love and will tell you more about later) that they shouldn't moan and groan about taking their tests because at least they aren't PAYING to take it!!

Here is a snapshot of the fun things I'm studying:

1. What is meant by a balanced approach to literacy instruction?

2. What is phonemic awareness? What areas of phonemic awareness may need special attention in the case of bilingual learners?

3. How and when do we teach vocabulary?

4. Define structural analysis. What is its purpose?

5. What are some of the impediments to full comprehension of written text?

6. Describe the components of an effective spelling program.

7. What is the role of performance assessment in a balanced comprehensive approach to literacy instruction?

8. In what ways are instruction in oral language, reading and writing linked?


So maybe tonight, when the test is over, I'll actually catch my blog up on the past couple weeks!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Good luck, Jamie! You'll do great!

britt said...

That DOES sound like fun!? I'm sure you will/did do well.

Katie said...

My brain turned off when I was reading those study points...good luck!

Tara said...

Goodness! Really? Oh Jamie, how stressfull! I hope you give yourself lots of rewards after this test is over, pass or fail, LOTS of "me" and "me and fam" time. I'm thinking of you, Good luck, and I be you will do much better than you expect!! love you!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

That's no fun. Hope you've had some time to recover from what sounds like a horrific test. I'm sure you did great!!