Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Crazy Busy


I used to get a little perturbed when I'd hear people say "I don't know how you keep up with your blog....I just don't have the time!". It made me feel like they thought I had all the time in the world to sit around and blog.

I now understand. It had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't busy being a full-time mom of three...because I was very busy....but I WAS able to fit blogging/journaling into my list of "to-do" items.

Not anymore. I have officially superseded busy. I am now turbo-busy, ridiculously-busy and often too-busy.

The good thing is, I'm happy. I don't feel suffocated or miserable. But I just feel like there is no time to breathe. I just want to sit down one night when my kids are in bed and NOT be planning a lesson, or doing homework for my class, or preparing for a test. I just want to mindlessly watch a show or have a conversation on the phone (yes, though I am a self-proclaimed phone hater, I actually WISH I could chat on the phone).

I'm not trying to pull a sympathy card because I chose this and I'm happy about it all. It's all good, and we have a decent plan in motion for our future. It's just that GOOD and EASY aren't always partners. Sometimes GOOD can be HARD AS HELL. Right? Yep.

I want to blog about my adventures in 6th grade so badly because I know I will forget them. But I'm so tired and I'm getting sick and it's 11:10 PM.

But I will say this. 6th grade is less emotionally exhuasting than 1st FOR SURE. I don't have to constantly direct their behavior like the 6 year olds. But the work is harder and more intense and takes much more intellectual prep. Not so much physical prep. These 12 year olds are so great. They are beginning to physically look like mini-adults. But they are really just kids at heart still. They are still so eager to trust and believe and learn from an adult. They aren't rude yet, but it's brewing under the surface.

I wish they knew that I just learned about the earthquake lesson I taught them today....last night!!!! It's all about staying one step ahead of the game, folks. Just one step ahead and you've got 'em fooled that you're on top of it all!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I bow down before thee....I think it is amazing how much work teachers put into each day, it is really incredible. I often wondered how my teachers knew all that "stuff!"

britt said...

I say Amen to the winging it part. I did that MANY a times! It does take much more preparation, but they can DO so much more on their own, which is really nice as well! The school year is going to be over b4 you know it! Keep up the great work!!