Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Musicals – Dancing – Singing

 

  State Fair Poster    

 

Whether nature or nurture…I don’t know.  But I do know my girls are obsessed with music, dancing, musicals, singing and anything related.  I mean obsessed.

Literally all they do is pretend they are on stage putting on a show.  The current show of the month is re-enacting every detail of the play Wicked.  But others they have loved in the last month are the movies State Fair (from 1945) and The Music Man (1962).  Listened to the soundtracks CONSTANTLY.  It makes me laugh because I wonder how many other 4, 7 and 9 year olds are obsessed with movies that old?  That’s what they get for having a musical Grandma.  I told my mom I need to pay her for music classes when they go to her house because they come home culturally refined each time.  I love it.


A few others they have watched at my mom’s recently and loved are:  The Million Dollar Mermaid, The Secret Garden and The King and I.

 

Jordyn told me the other day that she knew in her heart what she wanted to do when she gets older.  She said she know she wants to sing and be on stage.  She has a beautiful voice and I think she has the passion/intensity for it too.  Lexi said she’d prefer to dance.  It’s a little less intimate than singing, which fits her personality better. Plus she is a great dancer and quite flexible!

 

Who knows what these girls will end up doing…but it’s fun to watch them dream, and develop their own likes & talents.  Peyton just joins right in to whatever her sisters are doing and doesn’t miss a beat.


The other day I asked the girls what lunch boxes they’d like for next school year.  They both said (this made me laugh) “State Fair or Music Man…do you think they have those Mommy?”.  Hmmm, maybe vintage ones on eBay?!

2 comments:

MeQueen5 said...

Thanks for the lunchbox laugh! Hysterical.
I'm sure I will find them on ebay. Just give me some time!

K Western said...

I grew up watching those movies. You (or I should say your mom) has motivated me to check them out at the library and watch them with my kids. They are such fun movies with fun music. I love that your mom loves music!