Monday, May 30, 2011

Lessons Learned…Thanks to Nail Polish

_DSC0001

 

As a mother, I’ve learned that I have to be an extremely quick thinker and problem solver. Sometimes I’m good at this, but if it kicks into my emotions (like fear or frustration) then I can end up making the problem worse with my reaction.

 

Last week, I had one of these situations but I think I reacted well and wish I could do this more often.  The girls were playing very nicely out back and I had been enjoying this peace for about 15 minutes when all of the sudden, Peyton runs in screaming.  Usually, this indicates a fight…a hit, a push, a mean name, etc.  But I quickly realized this was a hurt-type cry.  She said…or screamed…”Jordyn got it in my eye!!!”.  When I looked at her eye and saw bright orange, I immediately realized that they had tried to use the bright orange nail polish as eye-shadow.  Oh man, not good.  Pey was in pain!

 

Jordyn ran in after her and I had no idea what to say to her, I needed to help Peyton…and I didn’t want to hear Jordyn’s whole back story as to why this happened and why it wasn’t “her fault”.  So I just said “Go to your room until I can talk to you”.  Of course she ran off crying and stayed in her room crying.  I think she felt bad that Pey was hurt…and that I might be mad.

 

So I flushed Peyton’s eye out with milk (a trick I learned young from the Clark’s – thanks!) and got her settled and calmed down.  Poor kid’s eyes were red the rest of the day, but they were okay.

 

And then I had to decide how to handle this with Jordyn.  My initial knee-jerk reaction was to say “You are NINE years old, you know better than this!!!”.  But she wouldn’t have heard me, she would have ONLY heard the criticism.  So I had to tuck that away and reach for a more teaching response.


So I got online, found a little paragraph about the dangers of nail polish in the eye and printed it off.  I brought it into her room and explained to her that this was an important learning moment.  Even though it was common sense to me, I had to remember that to a 9 year old, it probably sounded like a fun idea in the moment when Peyton asked for orange eye shadow…not understanding the dangers.  I went on to tell her that this type of learning is important to become a great babysitter in a few years.  Maybe someday she’ll babysit some kids who want to do the same thing and now she’ll know to catch it and stop it before someone gets hurt.

 

So I handed her the print-out and told her I needed her to read it and re-write it on a separate piece of paper, sign it and bring it to me.


I was proud of myself for keeping my cool and when she brought out the paper to me, all finished, I felt like she really learned from her experience and not from me nagging and yelling about it.

 

Now if I can only apply this reaction to the other 99.9% of situations…

4 comments:

Jeannine and Neal said...

You are a wonderful example of what "motherhood" is all about. The way you handled this incident isn't a rare example for you, from my vantage point - it is a 'normal' reaction. Love you, Jeannine

Unknown said...

YOu know that is what Cannon did right? We went to the emergency room and they flushed it with a WHOLE IV bag of special solution.

Jamie and Family said...

Katie - no, didn't know that! Scary! I would have taken her somewhere but in her case, I could tell it was all on the eyelid and she had rubbed them and so it wasn't a ton directly in her eye...plus she is old enough for me to ask her what happened...scary for it to be with a baby and have no idea!

MeQueen5 said...

I don't think it's funny but I had to laugh a bit! It brings back so many memories of you kids.
Writing was always one that I pulled out of the bag of "mother be calm" type of resolve. Oh man it is NOT easy in the heat of the moment is it?! "teach, teach, teach" that is the real thing to think about with kids. Right!
MOM