Monday, June 07, 2010

School's Out!

Goodbye 1st grade! I don't want Lexi to be in 2nd grade! I don't want her to grow up. She is so cute and sweet. She did so well in first grade and Mrs. Zapata is a wonderful teacher!! Mrs. Zapata with me and Lexi.



End of school cupcakes for Lexi's class...


Mrs. Stone with Jordyn and I. Still...there are not words to describe her. Except one mom said it best "Mrs. Stone could not be more proud of these kids if she birthed them herself!".


Mrs. Stone was a big ol' mess the days leading up to the end. Crying at every turn. But that's one thing I love about her. She is SO strong, opinionated and experienced as a teacher, but she is also not afraid to show her emotions. This picture is great....at the end of the day, she let each kid bring their present (if they had one) up to her and she opened it (as if it were a baby shower) in front of the class and would exclaim how much she loved it to the child. In return, she gave all the kids several gifts (a copy of her favorite book, plus two home-made bed pillows!). Most teachers take their gifts home and open them privately. Not Mrs. Stone! She includes these kids on EVERYTHING. So much so, that Jordyn wrote Mrs. Stone's grandkids birthdays on my home calendar! One day Lindy came over and was like "who is Hallee?" as she looked at the calendar.


My friend Rosa (who is moving this month, sadly) is who recommended me to Mrs. Stone. I was so lucky to get my first choice! Rosa has been a "mom" with Mrs. Stone for three years and definitely showed me the (very specific) ropes!

Jordyn, writing Mrs. Stone a little letter before school...soooo sad to leave her.

Jordyn got several awards this year! (And this is the sign we made for both their teachers).

Jordyn's award ceremony at Lincoln school! She got awards for:

-perfect academic attendence (which means we did the work for any days we missed)
-making 100% of her A.R. goal
-2nd place in jump roping contest
-special classroom achievement in Art
-a trophy for academic achievement
(WAY TO GO, JO!!!)



And Lexi ended the year with FOUR math medals! She got the most in her entire class! (and she is the youngest....woohoo!). She was sooooooo proud of herself. So are we!


Our girls had absolutely fabulous years this year. I feel so blessed and grateful to their teachers for the dedication and love they gave my children. Luckily, our girls are "easy" students. They are quick learners and know how to stay on task (until they get home, ha ha ha). I actually asked Jordyn today if she wanted me to call Mrs. Stone and see if she could spend the summer at her house since she is so good for her!

I sure hope next year can possibly measure up to this year as far as teachers go! Ready or not, 2nd and 3rd grade....here we come!!!!! (I still can't wrap my mind around it)

No pictures sadly, but Jordyn and Lexi got to go on a special celebratory dinner with Grandma and Grandpa the night that school ended. Complete with dinner at Chili's (boneless buffalo wings, corn on the cob) and swim-suit shopping at Target! What a fun way to end the school year!

1 comment:

Carlotta said...

yeah it is quite shocking to the system when each school year ends even though we know it's going to happen every year. I'm not sure if I can grasp that lexi will be in 2nd grade, i feel like she is younger then that. I must have lost a few years in there somewhere. Alyson kindly reminded me every day the last week that she was "almost" in 4th grade. AHEM, what the heck! I felt a little better when she went to the doctor and I found out she was the 10% percentile for height and 25% percentile for weight :) At least she is still my peanut. LOL. She is SOOOO excited to come down. thankfully it isn't too far away. I was able to get my days off approved.