Friday, June 25, 2010

Blackberries

A few years ago, I innocently bought a tiny blackberry plant for $5. Now, about four years later (maybe five?) have blackberries coming out of my ears!

Blackerries grow their vines one year, and then fruit on them the next. So there is constantly REALLLLLY pokey, prickly vines on the side of my house. Just waiting to attack a passerby. We have to be careful how many we let grow because they can easily overtake every single plant near them. The roots travel underground and start to grow up in the middle of our grass even!

The blackberries turn ripe for about a three week period in late May to mid June. But, sadly, no one in my family really eats them! So I give them to my mom and sister usually.

This is the second summer I've made blackberry freezer jam. It made so much, we were able to give lots of it away.



h

We also decided to try something different one day and make a blackberry stand! Sadly, we live on a quiet street so we didn't have a complete sell-out...but some very nice neighbors were our customers! The girls had fun.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish you lived close to me- we would be buying up your whole stand. We love those!

britt said...

way to go on the jam AND fruit stand! I just made some strawberry, but not as much as you did. I would love to try your blackberry!
ps can't wait to see you this summer :)

Eliza2006 said...

Just add the word "organic" and they'll go like hotcakes! Sol LOVES blackberries. I think they're a little bitter!