Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Brave Little Lexi

(Lexi's the front middle, sitting on the stage)

Last week Lexi came home from school horribly emotional. I immediately knew something was bothering her. When she gets nervous, she gets REALLY irrational and whiney.

So I wasn't surprised when she told me she had been asked to introduce a song at the next day's Christmas Program for her first grade class. She was crying saying she didn't want to do it AT ALL! But she hadn't told her teacher that, so her teacher thought she was perfectly willing.

I thought for a minute and then said "Lex, you don't have to do it at all. Let me just give you an idea to think about before you decide though".

I went on to explain to her that when I was seven, I was asked to give a talk in church. I was painfully shy, so (for some reason) my mom offered to buy me a Crystal Barbie (one I'd been wanting, she even had earrings!) if I gave my talk. I decided to do it and even though I whispered the whole thing, I got my reward! I remember feeling so proud, and after that I didn't mind talks so much!

So I offered her a double scoop of whatever ice cream she wanted on a special date with just mommy if she did it. Her eyes lit up, and then she kept crying.

I told her she didn't have to decide that night, and could tell me the next morning. Later, I heard her practicing her part in her bedroom all by herself. Made me smile.

The next morning, (after asking me several times if she could still get the ice cream WITHOUT doing the part), she finally announced that she'd be doing the part! Once she decided, she didn't complain again!

It was so CUTE. She (another girl) said:

"Hi, my name is Lexi. Hi, my name is Mackenzie. We're from room 10. Our next song is All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" and then they pointed at their missing front teeth.

I'm proud of you Lexi!! You did an awesome job! Oh, and we DID get our double scoop ice cream after school just as promised!

3 comments:

britt said...

that is a cute story. what a payient mom you are!

Eliza2006 said...

She is brave! I definitely need to be a little more sensitive when Eliza is shy...I tend to want to push, which always backfires! You are a good mommy!

K Western said...

Boy, it's been a while since I've read your blog (or anyone's blog). Life is flying by and I'm barely surviving.
Congrats to Lexi being brave. I love her new haircut, her cute glasses, and her missing teeth.
Glad to hear that Peyton is okay. That sure would be scary.
You definitely are busy. I love the crafts your making. You've always had such a talent with that. Ashlyn's read your blog and she keeps telling me I need to make things like that.
That's so neat you got to visit the Thurston's. You all look so cute together. Fun times!