Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Inquisitive

(self timer portrait by Peyton)

I have to write these down or I'll forget.

At school, we've recently learned about Martin Luther King Jr., and also Ruby Bridges (little African-American girl who went to an all white school in the 60's....had lots of persecution). So we watched a movie about her. Keep in mind that everything Jordyn does at school is the same as what I'm doing because her teacher plans with my teacher, so it's great.

Anyway, Jordyn was really impacted by this movie and story. She kept asking me lots of questions, like what was inclusion and why was Ruby so sad, etc. Anyway, this lead to some conversation about our new President Barack Obama. Lexi proudly said that she voted for Obama (in their class polls last year) and Jordyn said she voted for McCain.

After some discussion, Jordyn took me off guard by asking "so Mom.... who is more important....Obama or Jesus?".

(ha ha ha ha, too funny! I think I made up some answer about them both being important, but no one is really comparable to Jesus, etc)

OK, which leads me to a conversation with Peyton a few weeks ago. She and I were in the car waiting for Tucker to come back, and she was asking me questions. She said "where's Santa Mommy?". So I told her that Santa went home since Christmas is over. (This conversation happened at least 10 more times in a row).

But then she asked me "Where's Jesus Mommy?". (try to answer THAT one to a two year old!). I said "He's up in Heaven honey". To which she answered "What?". (she doesn't understand the concept of "heaven" yet). So after a few failed attempts at that, I said "He's up there" and gestured to the sky. That seemed to satisfy her for a minute.

Until I heard "I can't SEE him Mommy!! I can't SEE Jesus!".

Finally I think I just resorted to "I know, I'm sorry honey!".

4 comments:

Beth said...

That is such a complex conversation for a 2 year old. She is so cute. I can see how it could be confusing since Obama is getting more attention than Jesus these days. That is so funny! You sound like your adjusting to the insanity. Sure miss you. I feel like were both having this intense countdown in weeks. I think this summer is going to feel very relaxing!

Eliza2006 said...

Ah, yes, the inquisitive stage...it goes on for quite a while. Eliza keeps wanting me to tell her about my dad. A thousand times a day. I'm getting really comfortable taking about his death and repeatedly telling her his name. I know it's hard for her to grasp that he's living with HF and that's part of the reason she wants to keep hearing it over and over.

Tiffany

Katie said...

Aww! So precious!

Melvin and Carly said...

Kids come up with the greatest stuff! Has Peyton started asking "why?" to everything yet? So fun to come up with answers to that one!