Thursday, January 15, 2009

Say What?


You might be wondering if this is turning into a teaching blog. It very well may be! With a sprinkling of my family here and there.

Here are the top three most interesting conversations I've had....or, rather, witnessed....this week:

- Not only is there a high percentage of hispanics around here, but there are also a high number of Indian people (from India). So lots of kids have names unique in our American culture. Like Avneet or Ravinder. So at our center, a little boy Grant told me that "Ravinder's writing usually doesn't make sense. Kind of like her name doesn't make sense." Right in front of her! Awww, poor Ravinder! I tried to smooth that one over pretty quick.

- Angela told me "My Grandma has a really cool lighter. It looks like a car and then when she presses it, the fire comes out the back of the car! She uses it when she smokes her cigs." The Dillon follows up with "Yeah, my dad used to smoke cigs, but he quit. Now he just chews Copenhagen". It was just strange for me to hear six year olds discussing these things like this, and made me want to sing them a nursery rhyme to bring them back to a child's world!

- Grant told me out of the blue "My mom and dad used to take lots of drugs. And then they would do mean things like shove hot peppers down my throat and make me cry. So that's why I got adopted and my last name changed from __________ to __________." I was speechless! I asked him a few more questions and then it was time to go. So I told the teacher, and she had no idea...wondered if he made it up. But that was way to wierd to make up. So we're going to look into it!

Jordyn and I at lunch time. She wants me to eat with her EVERY day, but I tell her that Mommy has lots of work to do during that precious 30 minutes, but maybe once or twice a week.


One of my 25,000 projects today. We're working on graphing, so I made these large graphs.


(By the way, Oprah has had some really inspiring shows lately. I DVR it and watch it often in the evening....and particularly her shows on Spirituality are great. If you haven't seen them, go to her website for detailed recaps.)

5 comments:

britt said...

I remember how hard it was to be the teacher of students that come from extremely difficult homes and situations. I wanted to just take them all home with me! It was hard to leave it all at school, and give focus at home.
Sounds like you are doing a great job though. You will be and ARE a great teacher!!

Allan and Diane said...

Busy, busy girl....oh I remember those days. Luckily when our kids were young we had that marvelous "nanny=grandma". You could devote 20 hrs. a day to teaching--it can become so consuming that you have to draw the line. I bet you are doing a marvelous job so don't get too stressed!!

Allan and Diane said...

P.S. --children from India. Now that makes me take note. I didn't know there were THAT many 7-Elevens in Kingsburg!!

Tara said...

oh my goodness, what a difference from here! I know there is serious lack of diversity here, but that is nutty with 6yr olds having those conversation where you are. I remember Vegas being a bit like that when I went into Jade's classrooms, but not quite as much as you get. Hang in there!

And thank you for supporting my etsy shop like that, you are the best and most encouraging! love you!!!

K Western said...

I remember those kinds of conversations when I went to volunteer for Ashlyn's class. I always had a hard time with the ones that talked about things that they must've overheard their teenage siblings say. I can't say where we live now is any better. Ashlyn came home asking what a very bad four letter word meant. Yikes!