Thursday, January 15, 2009

Foggy Days

Our front window this morning

So, it's common in the winter time in this part of California to have the schools call "foggy day schedule", which means that school is delayed for two hours because it is so foggy. It can be really nice because you get an occasional slow-morning. The kids can sleep a little longer and we aren't rushing around like maniacs. However, now that I'm living a teacher's life.....sadly I still have to get up early and get ready because if I waited until they officially "call it" foggy day, it would be 6:30 ish and that is WAY too late for me to start getting ready.

This morning is a foggy day. I was totally ready by the time I found out....but now I can catch up on a few emails and some blogging...and enjoy some extra time with the girls.

I'm only on day four of student teaching....and I'm trying not to dwell on having 17 more weeks still! Its definitely intense. But I have enjoyed myself and what I'm experiencing quite a bit. I REALLY like my Master Teacher. The funny thing is, I wouldn't really pick her to be my kids' teacher....she's just not a fit with their personalities, but as a co-worker, I really like her. She is so welcoming to me, and even let me completely take over the class for about 20 minutes yesterday to read a story with them (she thought I did great......thank you, LDS church for YEARS of teaching opportunities). She is also giving me a master copy of every assignment or project we do so I can have resources to draw from later down the road.

Trying to balance my old full-time mom status with this new full-time working status is interesting. Luckily, I only miss out on seeing my older girls for about an hour after they get home from school. Peyton is harder for me to not see because I'm used to her being my little buddy all day long. I do feel happy with her set-up....starting next week she will have a mix of Tucker, Lindy, my Mom and a really good day-care/pre-school (for about six hours per week).

When I get home...which is around 3:30....all I want to do is hang out with them (or completely veg, but that's not an option). But I quickly have to think about what the five of us will eat, and getting homework done, practicing piano, getting baths, picking out clothes....plus cleaning up messes and refereeing fights (all with the help of Tucker, thank goodness). And finishing all that by 7:00 so we can start the going to bed process. It's all a bit crazy. And after they go to bed, I have about two hours where I can catch up....but by that point I'm so tired from the 5:30 am wake-up and fast-paced day, I want to do NOTHING.

I have to note that I have had to eliminate a few key things from my life to make this possible: Harmony, and Primary Presidency, volunteering in the classroom, and going to bed late. There's no way to do it all.

I've also decided that, unless it's absolutely necessary financially, I will probably teach part time for a few years after I'm credentialed. There are lots of charter schools/home schools around here and the teachers actually are assigned specific students to make sure they are on track with the curriculum. You can have anywhere from 4 students (which is four hours per week) to 40 students (full time). You get paid by the hour and it is very flexible.

But let's get through this semester first!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow- I feel tired after reading this! You are super woman. No foggy day schedules here and hardly ever a snow day. Just tough it out:) I remember the fog- so wet and crazy.

julie said...

Your life sounds a lot like mine! It is only day 4 of the semester and I am wondering how I am going to make it! I know you have 3 girls and that increases your chaos, but I get to bring home loads of homework! I have to write 20 papers this semester between all my classes! I am glad that you are liking being in the class room though because liking the place you go all day makes a huge difference!

britt said...

I don't know how you are doing it! I commend you and I KNOW you are doing an awesome job. It is soo hard to be a full-time mom and work full-time. That year I taught after we moved back from Maui was soo challenging! But somehow you just make it work, everyone adjusts and life continues no matter what. Maybe not in the ideal way you may have hoped, but it all works out!
Hang in there, it WILL get easier, and feel a bit more comfortable. Just give it time!

britt said...

oh yeah and hearing you talk about foggy days, triggers my memory a bit. It has been so long since I have experienced the fog! I don't know what would be more challenging?!

Melvin and Carly said...

I do NOT miss the fog there and it never even interrupted anything in my "schedule." You are amazing to be able to get everything done!

Tara said...

I am so proud of you Jay, you really are doing it! It's amazing what we are capable of, isn't it? What is so wonderful about your set-up, is that you have family around for support. Just reading between the lines, I would bet you might loose any sense of balance or sanity if you didn't have Tucker right behind you doing what he is doing, and your mom and sister too. Right now, as crazy as it seems, I am impressed with the sense of control, acceptance, and "flow", that you have to run your days. (maybe control is not a good word, but you know what I mean) You are taking things as they come in a very graceful, yet determined way. You are inspiring! I love you and I'm thinking of you!

K Western said...

I remember those foggy days. I can't say I miss them, but I do miss being able to have a little more time to get everyone ready in the morning. You're doing a great job!

Debbie said...

first of all i love your bird feeder. where did you get it?

second, you are amazing!

i get up at 4:55 almost everyday and by 9:30 at night i am DEAD so i can totally relate.