Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Parenthood Equals Sleeplessness

So here is a typical night for us:

Crawl in bed around 11:00. Without fail, around 3:00 am one child will start crying about SOME sort of issue: thirsty, nightmares, need to go potty, sick, etc. With my 'mom ears', I hear the crying within .05 seconds and wait to see if it will stop. Nope. In my pregnant/nauseausness I can't hardly move w/o puking, so I nudge Tucker (he's been a saint). He deliriously gets up to address the problem while I lay there listening and yelling out little tips (which medicine to give, what drink to give, etc). He finally solves the issue and crawls back in bed...asleep within a minute. I lay there for at least an hour trying to ignore the nausea and get back to sleep. Without fail, BEFORE I fall back asleep, the other child will start to cry. Another issue. I nudge Tucker again, he jumps up again. This cycle usually happens at least a third time before morning. So by the time all is calm and we are sleeping again, it's just in time for the sun to start peaking into the room and the birds to start chirping, the dogs in the neighborhood start to bark and POOF! It's time to start another day!

The other night after this ridiculous cycle, I asked Tucker how we'll survive with a baby waking every two hours on TOP of this? We're crazy, right?

Lexi has MAYBE slept 20 nights straight through in her whole life and she is 2 1/2. She's lucky she's so dang cute! ;-) Jordyn has been getting up every night because she's scared. She's lucky I
had the same problem for like 10 years, so I'm empathetic!

My point? I just wish I would have understood before I had kids how good it really felt to sleep a solid night through. But you can't know the sweet without the bitter right? And as exhausting as it can be (and frustrating) to get up multiple times per night...it's amazing what you will put up with when you love someone so much. I mean, even in the middle of the night when I'm dead tired and hear Lexi cry, it can make me laugh to open her door and hear a chipper voice say "Is it morning yet Mommy?? Is it morning?".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I know about this! At least you haven't let your kids sleep with you- that has been our mistake and Cooper wakes up every night and won't go back to bed unless it is with me so Ryan sleeps in the other room- it is called musical beds.

Chris Grover said...

Oh my gosh, Jamie! I can't understand what that's like, but with as much as I love my sleep, I can only imagine! One day, you'll be having sleepless nights waiting for your teenage girls to come home from their dates :) I guess it never ends, eh?!

Eliza2006 said...

Yes, I think you are crazy! Just kidding, but really...instead of requesting a baby girl, as young as possible, I should have requested a child that sleeps a solid 12 hours a night without interruption.