Monday, March 10, 2014

My Job



This is a picture of Peter and I a couple weeks ago at the training that we did for the city of Fresno. It was a blind awareness training and we were able to teach 30 city employees, who all work in the public works division, more about blind awareness and how different city structures and intersection decisions impact the blind. We even got to blindfold them and have them do a experience crossing streets and walking with canes. It was so awesome, and I was very glad to be a part of it. Peter was my master teacher during my internship, and continues to be a mentor and helpful part of my career. He has done this job for more than 10 years, and addition to teaching blind children and babies.

We were even featured on a couple news stations! That was really fun. I am hoping we can orchestrate ways to actually hold more of these trainings, maybe even in the private sector.
Then, Peter met me while I was working with one of our clients, Glenn, who is hilarious, and we took turns being blindfolded and doing a refresher lesson. It's so important to do this once in a while to remember the perspective of being blind and remember if you're teaching things correctly. We walked up and down mooney boulevard, in the rain, with tons of traffic. It was craziness! But it was awesome.
I had to include this picture that I snuck and took out two of my clients, Heidi and DJ. They are two of the most unique people I have ever met in my life. They give me a headache almost weekly. There strange, socially awkward, and have a dysfunctional relationship. They're both totally blind and so I also feel bad for them. But blind or not, they really are crazy though.

Luckily, that is not how a majority of my clients are. I have met some of the most awesome people and I absolutely love my job!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YOu are amazing! Simply amazing. I like to think about heaven and how these people will finally SEE you and run up to you and hug you and thank you so much.