Sunday, December 04, 2011

SFSU

I can’t believe I’ve been going to San Francisco WEEKLY for a year and a half.  I really can’t.  I distinctly remember the wrestle with myself when I felt drawn to this program.  It seemed so extreme in the moment…but so RIGHT in the long run.  I thought about it for nearly a year.  I recall talking to Tiffany one time (since she is in the profession) and something she said has really stuck with me.  When I was asking her “Doesn’t this seem crazy!?”.  She said “Life will feel crazy for the next two years whether you do the program or not”.  And that really is true.  I mean, I’m sure this has added stress to my life…but if it wasn’t this, it would be something else, right?  I am always amazed how it fits into my life.  Some weeks, I feel so tired that I cannot imagine doing that drive and then spending ALL day with a cane, blindfold and (now) on the streets.  And then I get there, and I learn and enjoy it and…even when it’s hard…I always like it.  It is also a HUGE mental relief that, when I leave, my kids are at my parents’ house.  What a blessing.

These are some cell pics I sneakily snapped during class a few weeks ago.  We are quite the site!  We gather for lecture for a couple hours on a corner, and then the rest of the time we are under blind fold (or our partner is) and people definitely slow down and stare!

 

I’m so grateful for Shana and Derek opening their home to me nearly every weekend.  Sometimes I go early and hang out with Shana and her cute kids, other times I stroll in at 9:30 and just set up to go to bed to prepare for the next day.  On a rare occasion I have left for SF the morning of school (class is 9:00-5:00), which means I am up at 4:30.  That is quite brutal.  So staying at SHana’s has worked out so nice.

 

Next semester is my last semester before my internship.  I’m so anxious to see what unfolds with all of this.  My priority will continue to be my children…and since Tucker travels so much, my goal is to work part time as long as possible.  With Peyton starting Kindergarten next year, it works out great.

 

By the way, you would be amazed to know how many tiny details and steps it takes for a blind person to learn to cross a street.  Any street.  So many types of intersections, curbs, elevation changes, texture changes, masking noises, electric cars, etc. It is quite fascinating to learn to see the world differently.  I get to buy my very OWN cane this week.  I’ve used a loner cane this whole time.  My cane height is 54” (with a teardrop tip). 

O&M 1 O&M 2

My second partner, Natalie.  I’ve had Grace, Natalie and now Xavier.  I’ll get a pic of him soon.

O&M 3 O&M 4

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Savannah learned all about the guy who created brail and was so excited. He was quite amazing. She told me every tiny detail she learned. How he was like 15 or something when he created it and how he tried so many things. When I told her that is what you were doing she was so intrigued.