Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"Old-Fashioned" Popcorn



The other night for family night, I decided to show my kids how to make "old-fashioned" popcorn. My kids have only known popcorn nuked in the microwave. Which is so weird because I remember when we got our first microwave! I'm thinking I was around 7 or so?

Growing up, we had an air-popper. We melted butter in the small designated space on top of the popper, but my parents always ended up melting more because we loved it as buttery as can be! Yum.

So I lined the bottom of a bit pot with oil, dropped in the kernals and shook away! A few minutes later we had a TON of popcorn! I melted (an entire cube of) butter and drizzled it on top and, of course, topped it with salt! We were all in heaven! The kids loved my "old-fashioned" popcorn, buttery hands & all.

2 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Oh my! That was the night that poor Tucker called to find out about the oil. Did he mention that it was a crazy house here? Well, it was. He had to ask the question about 5 times. I think I actually said at one point, "What is it that you need?" My stupid phone combined with screaming kids in the bathtub made it a tiny little bit hard to hear!

britt said...

that is awesome you did that with your kids! what an incredible mom you are :)