Sunday, January 24, 2010

Belle


We've had our little Chihuhua-Pomeranian mix (and who knows what else) dog Belle for coming up on 5 years. Besides some shedding, she is a perfect dog! She hardly barks, she doesn't chew anything and she is extremely good with our kids.

The girls love her soooo much. They fight over who gets to sit by her, hold her and sleep with her. Lexi cries if Belle happens to walk across the street because she's afraid she'll get lost. They hate leaving her behind when we go anywhere.

It's really cute. I love checking on the girls in the morning when I get up and seeing who Belle chose to snuggle with that night.

But really, as good as she is with our girls, she is obsessed with Tucker and I. Her love for us is undying!

I had so many reservations about the committment of a dog. Especially finding the RIGHT dog and the right fit for our family. At first, when my kids were a lot younger, I admit it often felt like yet another thing to care for. But now the relationship they've formed with Belle is priceless and I find myself dreading the day she dies!

She was supposedly four years old when we got her, which would make her nearing 9 years old now. She is showing some signs of aging...like, it's hard for her to jump up on the furniture. It takes her a few tries. I think she has arthritis. And she's pickier about her food, having had lots of teeth pulled.

She absolutely hates if Tucker goes on a run and doesn't take her. She will literally cry and whine the whole time he's gone if she seems him leave with his running shoes! He doesn't mind taking her....except the part where she has to stop to pee on the first 10 lawns they pass!

I want to remember these little things about little Belle and have my girls remember too. We love you Belle!

I wish I could do as sweet of a post about our cat. But for some reason, I cannot even pretend to do that. Sorry kitty-with-no-name (except for Peyton who calls her "Sarafina" from Princess and the Pauper).


2 comments:

MeQueen5 said...

Awwwww! Sweet Belle. Your lucky your first doggie has turned out to be such a sweetie!

britt said...

My kids BEG for a dog all the time, but I am on the extreme side of I definitely don't need one more child-like thing to take care of. I keep telling my kids when THEY are old enough to take care of it! I don't how much longer I can use that excuse :)