Tuesday, January 12, 2010

2nd Day Blues

I probably need to start a separate teaching blog for all these thoughts! But until I find that time, here my thoughts will lie.

Today was a hard day. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself since I am on day 2 of 70 teaching days. So I'll make some bullet points of the good and the bad (which might also include the ugly!):

****************************

The Good:
The high school aide who comes in to help me twice a week (too bad it's when the kids are already gone!) spend 90 minutes cutting out paper umbrellas! She saved me SOOOO much time!

My parents took Pey last minute this afternoon and then spent an hour listening to me rant about my day. My sick mom even made me a snack because she did the mom-mind-reading thing and knew I was hungry!

Some of the really nice teachers sincerely offered to help me whenever I need it.

Little Sydney told me she liked my hair.

I was able to love and encourage 25 little kids today.

One of the tougher, sometimes mean children totally ROCKED his math today! I was so happy for him.

************************

The Bad:
Two little girls peed their pants today. As I walked away to write a note for the nurse, the class got out of control!

I felt invisible today, like no one heard a word I said.

Started raining and I had to miss part of my lunch to go get the kids.

I was totally and utterly confused setting up the five independent centers today. Just thinking about our rotation time gives me anxiety and a headache.

I attended a sound off about the budget. All of the options for the future of our district are disgusting and sickening. The government totally sucks when it comes to education. Sorry, but it's true.

Afterschool, I laid my head in my hands and contemplated backing out. Am I in over my head? Can I really do this? Why do others think I'm so capable when I feel totally inadequate?

***********************

But I'm not a quitter and I'll do it even if it kills me off! So I'm trying to believe all the teachers who say "It'll get better".

And if one other person refers to "how easy" it sounds to teach kindergarten, I might fall over dead.

Off to bed so I can start again tomorrow!



9 comments:

Beth said...

each day is going to feel so much better! Only 67 days left now. Wish I could come be your aid for a day.

Unknown said...

((HUGS))

britt said...

oh I can honstly say I can TOTALLY relate to how you are feeling. And I can also say for sure that it will get easier! Hang in there. You are awesome and do have what it takes, despite how you eel right now!!!

Jill said...

Someone said they thought teaching kindergarten sounded easy? OBVIOUSLY, that someone has NEVER spent time in a kindergarten class! Hang in there, girl! You are awesome!

julie said...

My hat is off to you for having ANY sanity left after spending the day with 25 five year old kids. I am tired after spending the day with one! And to think that once upon a time when I was a high school graduate I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher..... oh how things can change! Love you

Tara said...

I hope you have some VERY relaxing down time planned JUST for you this weekend. Thinking of you! love you!!

Grasses said...

You are an inspiration! Remember the high learning curve will not last as long as you think. You have your priorities exactly right. We are proud of you.
Loved watching the Harmony Performance btw!

Allan and Diane said...

Hey Jamie..if I survived 25 years you will undoubtedly make another 69 days and end up LOVING IT! Just remember you go "on stage" for 3-4 hrs daily and the kinder kids will all go home babbling about how much they LOVE their new teacher. Wish I were closer to come and "volunteer"--it would be so much fun.

K Western said...

I think you're doing a great job. I read the previous posts and I have to admit that I shed a few tears, too. I often feel like that mother, trying to do my best as a mom. I think you're right about listening to your instincts. Hang in there and take one day at a time.