Sunday, January 03, 2010

MY Christmas Fun

I have been blessed my whole life to be an exceptionally healthy person. I hardly get sick and RARELY get sick enough to be down & out (with the exception of three hellish pregnancies).

But after Peyton was in the hospital two weeks before Christmas, I got sick. And it lasted for a couple weeks. Just mucusy, exhausted, head hurt, couldn't breathe...no matter what I did. This made it really hard to prepare for Christmas both at home and with Trinkets & Treasures where I had SO many custom orders to do for Christmas.

So I just couldn't really kick it. Then, on Christmas Eve I thought "Uh oh, I feel like I'm getting sick all over again!". By that night, I was dragging hard. In the middle of the night, I woke up to knives and fire in my throat so severely, I wanted to cry.

By the time I had to get up with the kids to see what Santa had brought, I could hardly care about anything! I couldn't talk because my throat was so on fire and so swollen. Tylenol and Ibuprofen literally didn't even take an edge off. I suspected strep throat and I wanted to panic because I KNEW I needed an antibiotic. But on Christmas I had only one option: The ER.

Yuck, I thought. Sitting in the ER sounded humanly impossible. But off I went because I knew I couldn't sit around for another week trying to kick it on my own. My immune system obviously needed some help.

So after two hours, I found myself in front of a nice doctor who confirmed the lesions on my throat and offered me a shot or a pill. "A shot would be great!". I'd never had one, but heard good things. So one painful shot later, I was home in bed. Absolutely miserable the rest of the day.

By 24 hours after the shot, I felt some improvement. Less pain and swelling. But by 36 hours after, I was literally a whole new person! I hadn't felt that good in WEEKS! A clear head, no pain and a clear nose. It was like a miracle.

Although I had a crappy Christmas day, the before and after have been great and I will probably always consider one of my greatest Christmas gifts of 2009 an antibiotic shot!

1 comment:

Aimie said...

Jamie it was fun to catch up on your blog. With our kids being the same age I feel we have a similar life and frustrations and it is good to see Im not the only one who gets overwhelmed.. I would like to catch up sometime via phone so email me your number sometime.