Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Glasses for Lex!



The past six months or so, I've had the impression that Lexi may not be seeing as well as I'd thought. No real specific reason, just more of a vibe as I watched her go about her day, her play and her homework. She'd had the basic eye tests at a primary care physician before, but I knew it was time for a full-on eye exam. So I spent quite a few hours with both Jordyn and Lexi at the eye doctor, and it was just as I suspected: Lexi needed glasses, Jordyn didn't.

Lexi is near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other! Not a correctable condition, but containable. Had we not caught it now, she could have ended up with a lazy eye from over-compensation.

Lexi was 100% fine with the fact that she needed glasses. She has a few cousins and friends with glasses, so she has been exposed. Plus, Tucker wears glasses/contacts.

Jordyn, on the other hand, was absolutely devastated that she didn't need them too. In fact, after her eye test she said to me "Mom, why don't I need glasses? I answered some of the letters wrong!". To which I replied...."How do you know?"! Caught ya! I reassured her that maybe she'll need braces someday....and that put a big ol' grin on her face. Why do we think we want things that we really won't end up liking in life?? So funny.

I glued a little flower and butterfly on the sides of Lexi's glasses to personalize them a bit. She has adjusted very well and definitely notices that she can see better. She has to wear them full-time, so this is the new look of Lexi!


8 comments:

britt said...

they are really cute on her! I can totally see why Jordyn felt that way, and could totally see the same sibling jealousy with my kids. I can't imagine at least one of my kids not needing glasses, as bad as their dad's eye sight USE to be. Only time will tell I guess.
Good thing you motherly instinct kicked in and you caught it b4 it became a bigger problem!

Eliza2006 said...

Cute as can be!

Shana and Derek said...

Thank goodness she likes them. And she looks very cute. I had to start wearing glasses in the 5th grade and I hated it! I would only wear them to see the chalk board. I walked around blind for the next six years of my life until I got my drivers license and realized I'm going to kill someone. I'd mistake stop signs for people. :) Maren is getting her eyes checked on Friday to see if she inherited her mamas bad eyes.

Beth said...

She looks so adorable! Lindsay was thrilled by the development. I don't know how Jacob will adjust to the change. I'm sure his loyalty will remain.

Debbie said...

i have also been thinking i need to get the boys in. thx for the reminder. and lexi looks adorable!

Melvin and Carly said...

She looks cute in her glasses. I got mine when I was 7 - mine weren't nearly that cute!

Great job on Peyton's cake!

Anonymous said...

oh man, alyson would LOVE those too! she just got her two new pairs last week :)

Janessa Couch said...

They are adorable glasses and she is adorable.