Saturday, October 10, 2009

Getting to Know My Kids

I am a really slow book reader! Not the actual process of reading, but getting myself to consistently pick up a book is hard. There are so many other things I prefer to do, even if I WANT to read the pages....I just get impatient.

Anyway, the book I'm trying to get through lately is a great one: Raising a G-Rated Family in an X-Rated World. So far, I LOOOVE it. It really emphasizes having personal connections with your children as vital. But how?

In it, it suggested a "get to know your kids" quiz. And to really let them answer (even if you don't think it's the "right" answer, it's THEIR right answer) because it gives you insight into how THEY see the world, you and themselves. So I finally did this with Jordyn and Lexi this morning....it was great!....and I want to preserve it:

**********************

Jordyn Lyn – October 10, 2009 – Age 7 ½

1. My favorite TV show is: Max & Ruby.

2. What I like best about myself is: that I’m the oldest in my family.

3. My favorite thing to eat for dinner is: vinegar salad and garlic bread.

4. My favorite color is: all of them!

5. Other kids think I am: pretty.

6. My favorite song is: Love is Spoken Here (Primary Song)

7. What I like best about my mother is: she makes us dinner.

8. My best school subject is: math.

9. My favorite video game is: PBSKids.com

10. When I have to work around the house I: kind of feel happy.

11. What I like best about my father is: he plays with us and helps me.

12. I like my teacher when: we have parties in our classroom.

13. My favorite movie is: High School Musical 3

14. I think my bedtime should be: 9:00

15. When I have free time I like to: get ice cream.

16. When I grow up I want to: be a cashier.

17. I like people who: are nice to me.

18. What I would like to change about me is: my height, because I want to be taller.

19. I do not like people who: aren’t nice to me.

20. If I had lots of money I would: go to Disneyland everyday and get a car for myself.


***************************


Lexi Leilani – October 10, 2009 – Just before 6th birthday

1. My favorite TV show is: SpongeBob

2. What I like best about myself is: that I am in first grade and have my own desk in my room.

3. My favorite thing to eat for dinner is: rice, noodles or chicken

4. My favorite color is: all of the colors except black.

5. Other kids think I am: cute.

6. My favorite song is: Right Here, Right Now (High School Musical).

7. What I like best about my mother is: she helps me practice piano.

8. My best school subject is: math.

9. My favorite video game is: nickjr.com.

10. When I have to work around the house I: clean my room.

11. What I like best about my father is: he gives me piggy-back rides.

12. I like my teacher when: she reads a book to me, or lets us paint.

13. My favorite movie is: Sleeping Beauty

14. I think my bedtime should be: 10:00

15. When I have free time I like to: go to my grandma and grandpa’s house

16. When I grow up I want to: read more (and drink dr. pepper!)

17. I like people who: help me.

18. What I would like to change about me is: to have “sharp” nails (like fake nails).

19. I do not like people who: hurt my feelings.

20. If I had lots of money I would: save it!



6 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I might have to steal this idea.

Eliza2006 said...

Love it! I'm going to have to get that book...maybe they have it at the library.

britt said...

thanks for sharing. after reading this with me, Ame wanted to do it too. you really do learn a lot about your kids through doing these kinds of things. we had fun!

Beth said...

sounds like a great read.

K Western said...

So cute to read! Funny that Jordyn wants to be taller. I always wanted to be shorter.
Maybe I'll have to read this book. I need all the help I can get. I ordered those American Girl books and I got them in the mail yesterday. I think they'll be great.

Melvin and Carly said...

I'll have to check this book out. It sounds great. And I'm definitely stealing the interview idea! Thanks! Fun answers from your girls.