Thursday, December 15, 2005

Harmony

Today was our final Harmony Christmas season performance. Even though I enjoy it, it's always a relief when its over because it is a lot of work!

A little background: my amazing mother started the original Harmony singing group over 20 years ago. Then 5 years ago she started this branch of Harmony where I live now, consisting of women in our church ward. Our motto is "sisterhood, singing and service". There are usually 12-16 women involved at one time. We do two seasons, one Jan-May and one Sept-Dec. We practice for about three months, then perform throughout a couple weeks at the end of the season. We sing three part harmony along with some choreography and then we perform to 11 hospitals/convalescent homes in the area as a service to them.

I don't sing all that great, but I know a basic pitch and I think its a fun thing to be a part of. It feels good knowing that it brightens up the day for these cute elderly people we sing to. I'm so glad my mom had the vision and tenacity to start and continue something like this. I mean, between the 14 of us in it now, there are over 40 kids, 23 of which are not even in kindergarten yet! So we pay monthly dues which basically covers our babysitting costs (we have four babysitters who babysit all the kids at once). Anyway, like I said, it's a lot of work at times, but our motto really sums up all the reasons this group has succeeded.

No comments: