Saturday, August 16, 2014

Last Few Days in Utah



So, we have now been coming to Utah for over 11 years to visit. Nearly every summer, and at least one time in the fall. I always try to make a point to see my dear friends. We may not live close, but when you share a bond with someone and you have so many memories, there is just an extra special friendship. Tiffany and I met up in an unusual way. Without kids! You don't usually do that these days. We met at Apollo Burger and got to catch up. Heidi met us there as well! After that, Tiffany and I decided that I had to try a "dirty Diet Coke". They are very popular in Utah. So we went to a place in bountiful called Swigg. A dirty Diet Coke has coconut and lime flavoring in it. It was good! We chatted for a while and then decided that we weren't done. So instead of driving back south to Murray, I drove north to Farmington.


When I walked in the door and saw her cute kids, they were so sad that my kids weren't with me! We realized that we had made an error in judgment in our plans to not include the children! So we quickly decided to gather the kids and go to Gam and Pa's to swim. Of course I checked with Jeannine, and she is always more than willing to accommodate my crazy changing plans. Which I appreciate more than she will ever know! It was so fun to have the kids all get together and swim, and then Jeannine was kind enough to feed us all dinner. I love you Tiff! You are forever among my very favorite.



I have to steal some pictures from gams blog because she does such a good job taking them! These few pictures were actually from Brock's birthday earlier in the week. How fun to be in town for a cousin's birthday party!

Tucker and Greg were throwing the kids high into the pool. It was all fun until Peyton landed wrong. I heard a slap and knew she was going to be in pain. When she got out of the pool, I could tell by the look on her face she was trying to act like she was totally fine. But when she looked over at me and caught my eye, she couldn't help but start to cry.

Poor baby. I hugged her and told her and she did not always have to be so brave. She had quite the red spots on her thighs from how she landed.


While we were in town, Neal's stake had a golf tournament. He was so excited to invite Tucker, Greg, and Jeff Gertsen. They sure like to golf! I don't think anything would ever stop them. Rain, wind, snow, heat, no sleep, injuries, you name it and they would still go.

I am blogging on my phone and don't know how to turn this picture. But we were having an adult game night for Jeannine's birthday and had some of the kids at Maren's and some of the kids at Lynda's house. When I got a call that Peyton had hurt her ankle on the trampoline, I was, admittedly, sad. I always fear that something will interfere with dance. And we have had several injuries on trampolines, and we do not even own one! It was bad enough for Annie to take Peyton to her emergency room (where she works) and have them look at it and wrap it at 2:30 in the morning! I felt so bad. 

 The next day when she got back to gams house, I took her to an InstaCare. I wanted to get x-rays to make sure it wasn't fractured like last time. It was extremely swollen and even though the x-ray did not show a fracture, they were not totally sure and gave us a big boot to keep on it and told us to get more follow-up care in California. Pey had crutches and a boot for two days! I was sure she would not be able to participate in dance auditions. But that little stinker ended up dancing on that swollen ankle almost the whole three days of auditions! Thank goodness it was not broken. And she was determined! I am grateful she had such good care out at the Gertson's house from Emmi and Annie.

Cousins swimming! So fun to have gam's pool so close to her house.

I am so grateful that I have a mother and a mother in law who both cherish traditions and memories. It has become a definite tradition for the girls to watch Gam, and help her, make bread while we are in town. Not only do they love to devour it, but she lets them make their own little loafs. This time, they shaped their loaves into their initial of their first name! Lexi says that she learned how to braid from Gam teaching her how to braid bread!!


We all took a quick trip to Costco for Tucker to help Neal & Jeannine pick out a TV for the basement.

Our once a year Mah Jong game!

We did a rare thing...and had all the adults gather for dinner! Jeannine picked Litza's Pizza in downtown SLC. Then, we headed back for game night! It is rare that we play games with this many people anymore because there are just too many children around. It was so different to be able to play uninterrupted.

We even got Greg to sit at the game table for a few hours, which is a miracle unto itself! Sadly, Jeff was not feeling well so he and Mindy had to leave before games.

Playing one of our all-time favorites, "what were you thinking"!

I think I caught Tucker mid blink in this self he because he looks a little dreary eyed.

The final day, the cousins got to hang out for a while. It is always hard to say goodbye. Pey seems to be extra sensitive to goodbyes!



I thought this was a fun picture that damn captured of us driving away. Always so bittersweet to visit. It is so fun to make memories and catch up, and always hard to say goodbye. I feel so thankful that we have such a welcoming experience when we come. We love to stay at gam and pa's house and I'm so thankful they always make us feel so welcome. Having the basement is so perfect because we have our own space to spread out. I always appreciate that family members take time and arrange their schedule to spend time with us!!  Until next time!

No comments: