Saturday, January 19, 2013

Making Lists

Jordyn is my list-maker. She knows she needs to write it down in order to get it out of her brain.

So today she went to her good friend Nataly's birthday party. Nataly has a cute little dwarf hamster. This the obsessing began. "Mom that hamster was so cute! I really want one. I promise I'll take care of it! Pleeeaaasse!?"(said to a mom who already has SIX animals!).

I've learned that I have to steer jordyn, rather than give her an answer. So I told her she has to do research on the total cost if hamsters, and then she'd have to save up all if that money and work hard if she wanted that hamster. So she took notes at the pet store, compared prices on Craigslist, and heard mom give lots of examples of pros and cons. I was trying to help her see that she was in the impulse stage of a decision where all you can see is the wonderful, perfect side of it. She thought I was being a downer and said "so you don't think I should get one? You think it's a bad idea?". To which I replied no, it's not a bad idea if you work toward a goal and make sure over time it's still the right decision, rather than jump on impulse and realize you didn't really want the thing after all.

I tried really hard to frame is as though it had nothing to do with me not wanting one (even tho I don't), but more about her going through the proper steps to get one. I told her that anything worth having is worth waiting for. Lets see how this plays out :-)

No comments: