Tuesday, December 02, 2008

(2 of) My Pet-Peeves


I love love LOVE seeing all the Christmas lights this time of year. I always drive grandma-ish-ly slow around neighborhoods to look at the lights - for myself as much as for the kids! I really like analyzing the different ways people do their lights. Either full-on TONS of lights with every branch on every tree and every blow-up thing the stores had to offer..........or maybe just one lone tree or one lone blow-up Santa.............or simply the classic lights hanging from the roof top...........or the option of nothing. I don't really mind any of the above options. But there are two main things that REALLY bug me no matter how hard I try to ignore them. (no offense if I describe you here)

1. When people can't end one holiday to start the next. For example, Christmas lights up with a big scarecrow on the porch and a pile of pumpkins still there. I have one neighbor nearby who, last year (no joke), still had pumpkins hanging out until March. NOT OKAY.

2. When people put forth all the effort to put up lights, but half of them don't work. Or they ran out and could only do 3/4 their house. I don't know why this bugs me so bad. I mean, I can cut some slack for a few days while you are running to the store to buy more, or trying to work out the kinks. Been there, done that. It's a pain in the butt to get the lights all hooked up correctly. But some people do this ALL season and figure "oh well, at least I have lights up". I'm sure it's my own issue (I hate starting things when you can't finish them).

But, really, despite these small pet-peeves......I love the Christmas Season!

(I do wonder, am I the only crazy one here?)

7 comments:

*Jessica* said...

I have some of the same pet peeves! I am assuming your house looks like a gingerbread house right? I love that you have the energy for TWO trees. I have another tree but just can't bring myself to put it up. One is enough for me! Especially when we have little ones that like to attack sparkly things, I am watching her right at this moment eat the sequence off of a homemade belt Taytum made, gotta go!

Jamie and Family said...

Jess - this year we have not had the energy to put up lights outside, which I usually love! So from the outside the house is boring!

And, I understand....Pey has thrown, dropped or broken most of our ball ornaments now just for attention!

Janessa Couch said...

I love Christmas Lights. I could drive around every night and not get bored. One of my favorite houses was in Utah, it was up on a hill and when you went around the corner, there it was. They put lights around the window and lights to look like a smile and one of the lights around the window blinked so it looked the house was winking at you. Very cool. We also like to youtube christmas lights and see all of the fun lights dancing to song.

Beth said...

I'm glad i'm not the only one with Christmas light pet peeves. Thank for giving me some new ones to think about. It makes me crazy when people mix their lights. The problem is MOST people do this. for example mixing white with traditional color, or any non consistant color combo. I'd rather see one small string of lights than crazy combo.

Aimie said...

so funny I can totally relate. BTW we have a section right now going on 4 days with no lights.

Tabitha said...

Oh, crap. I had better get rid of those rotting pumpkins on my front porch.

Katie said...

I am so particular about Christmas lights. I can't stand it when the strand of lights sags ANYWHERE. All the bulbs MUST be pointed in the same direction. So, I am a bit of Christmas lights-crazed person. Good luck with the pumpkin neighbors. We have a house down the street with a scarecrow still out on the porch.