Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hail

The other night we kept hearing this really loud, annoying noise outside. Sounded like thunder, but it was very rhythmic. After an hour, Tucker called the police to ask what it was. I really thought maybe someone was goofing off or something...but instead we learned something new. We had storm warnings that threatened hail, so the agricultural crops nearby were launching their hail inhibitor cannon to try to protect from hail damage. I'd never heard of such a thing! I found the following info to describe it a little more. I found this fascinating! (by the way, the hail never came).

"Hail also does a great deal of damage to crops, even small hailstones, slicing plants to pieces in just a few minutes. In previous centuries, people attempted to stop hail from falling by ringing church bells and firing cannons. Scientists are still experimenting with cloud "seeding" as a way of reducing hail size. Ther is a cannon that sends sonic waves up to 50,000 feet in the air every 5.5 seconds in an effort to keep hailstones from forming. This loud thunderous noise can be heard from 5 miles away."

3 comments:

Chris Grover said...

Oh my gosh -- WHAT IN THE WORLD?! I lived there my whole life and never heard of such a thing! That is absolutely crazy! VERY interesting -- I would love to learn more about that! I'm sure it wasn't fun to try to sleep with, but what a cool thing to learn about! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Can we do that to stop all of the snow here! That is so weird- I can't believe we didn't know that earlier.

Anonymous said...

I called the police too ... sounded like we had civil war cannons on the horizon! I was told it was to keep the trees from freezing...which didn't make any sense to me seeing as how temps were in the 50's...so I'm glad to know the "real" truth about the noises...still doesn't make much sense to me...but thanks for sharing! Nancy