Monday, May 13, 2013

Our Sweet Belle


 










 
 
 
We made the dreaded decision, at the end of April, to put our precious 13 year old dog, Belle, to sleep.  She had been going downhill for quite a while.  I agonized about this decision for nearly a year.  Each day I'd ask myself...is it time?  How will I know?  And then...just when I'd think she seemed so miserable...she'd pull herself up and walk over to me wagging her tail.  And then I'd think "no way, she's got too much life in her".  But her breathing became so labored, her incontinence became so bad and she just looked like she was enduring life rather than enjoying it.  So we made the appointment...and then had the most heartwrenching 24 hours.  We had been discussing it with the girls for quite some time, but I knew that giving them the forewarning and the chance to say goodbye would be just as difficult as it was.  There were tears and tears and tears.  Soooooo hard to say goodbye to a family member!
 
We had lots of great discussion about life and death and love.  That is one of the blessings that came of this trial.
 
We made a plaque with her paw prints, we planted a tree in memory of Belle...and had a little "funeral".  It was very sweet.
 
The good news is...there is peace that comes afterward.  When it really is the right decision, and it's really in the best interest of HER...the peace has settled in.  Even though...I'm sure we will always walk into the house expecting to see our faithful Belle waiting right there for us!! 

We love you Belle!!




 






No comments: