Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fire Department Fundraiser

Trinkets & Treasures is located directly across the street from our Kingsburg Fire Department.  So we’ve gotten to know the firemen fairly well and they like to stop over and say hi once in a while. 

 

About 5 weeks ago Wayne came over and said “I need your help”.  He proceeded to tell us ALL the many things regarding budget cuts and position cuts that was not being made public until AFTER the fact.  He was distraught and asked us if we could help spread the word to the community that this was happening, that it would effect everyone’s safety and to VOICE our opinions.

 

We said “sure”. 

But after he left, I felt perplexed as to how to adequately do this.  And then I had an idea.  A fundraiser using our store.  Perfect!  We have a big customer base, a facebook fan page and presence in the community.

 

So we picked a date and decided that 10% of our sales that day would be donated to the FD.  Plus we had lots of treats for sale that day, donation buckets all over AND left posters and donation buckets around town two weeks prior.  I had the UPS store donate the printing of the flyers and the local flower shop donate balloons that day.  I also had several businesses in town donate giftcards for our raffle.

 

It was a really fun day and we got to know so much more about the fire department, the amazing roles they play and the lives they save. 

We ended up earning $500, which will cover their new centennial patches they want to buy for next year.  Won’t save a fireman’s job, but at least shows them that we care and hopefully boosts morale! 

One of the things I liked most is getting my kids involved and letting them see what I was organizing.  They painted the poster, went with me to donation sites and hung out that day.

 

_DSC0805 _DSC0806 _DSC0807

 

_DSC0816_DSC0813  _DSC0819 _DSC0821 _DSC0822 _DSC0835 _DSC0838 _DSC0840 _DSC0850 _DSC0852 _DSC0855 _DSC0857 _DSC0858 _DSC0864 _DSC0866 _DSC0869 _DSC0870

2 comments:

britt said...

Another AMAZING undertaking of yours! That is such a neat thing for you to be apart of, as well as your girls. You look great by the way!!
(so you have taking on running, huh?! Way to go...good for you!! I can't wait for it to warm up just a bit, so I can MAKe myself get out there again. I REALLY need a change in my workout)

Jamie and Family said...

Thanks Britt. This one I HAD to do. It was inspired and I could not deny it, though I don't know where the time came from :-)

Running is not a goal I have ever had, so I am still in awe that I am in week five of doing it. Thanks to Katie and LIndy for the inspiration! And you've always been great at working out!!