Monday, March 21, 2011

Dear Jo,

_DSC0858 (2)

Oh Jordyn.  You are so much more full of life than a mommy like me knows how to handle.  I’m naturally much too controlling, traditional and…boring to accomodate your energy!  I am sure hoping you can keep teaching me what areas I should change/grow in, and what areas you need me to stand my ground in…so I can be the best mom for you!

 

I know as you keep getting older…I will need to start embracing bedtime as your time to “open up”.  I don’t know that we have ever, EVER put you to bed where you didn’t call out for either me or Dad within 7 seconds of us walking away. Ever.  You always have one more thought, one more need, one more question, or one more idea.  I try SOOOO hard not to be bugged at this because that is so selfish.  But by the point that I walk away after saying “Goodnight I love you”, I am so ready to have a mommy-break.  So my patience is thin.

 

But I’ve had the feeling that I need to start embracing this time.  This is when you’re most willing to open up (and to listen).  I think this will become crucial over your tween years.  So mommy may need to start having a nap or a time-out during the day so I can keep that stamina up longer!

 

I can’t believe you’re going to be 9.  We are halfway done having you officially a “kid”.  I don’t know how in the world that can be. I’m still trying to figure out how to combine such motherly feelings of deep love mixed with deep inadequacy.  Maybe it’s something I’ll never figure out.  I do hope you always know how much I love you though.

 

I recently started helping you girls design your own wooden sign to hang in your room.  You always see me make a million signs for others, and I want to teach you how.  I love what you came up with…all on your own.  You wanted yours to say “Draw your own personality”.  So I cut the vinyl, you painted the board…and then we put it together.  But then here is where you get frustrated.  You didn’t like the finishing touches on the details you were painting.  You are very hard on yourself.  I want to teach you how to handle those feelings…and really learn to take a detour and try a different route when frustrations come up…rather than give up and walk away.

 

You are a beautiful girl, with a beautiful personality, lots of energy and idea, lots of spontaneity, a beautiful voice and lots of love to give.  Keep “drawing your own personality”, Jo!


Love,

Mom

No comments: