Thursday, March 04, 2010

Days Like This - I Need a Nap

Days like today are interesting.

I started out the day feeling really yucky like I have all week; sore throat, swollen glands, cough and headache. But I was at school bright and early at 7:30 ready to start my day (?).

Right away, I remember why it's exhausting. "Teacher, he cutted in line. Teacher, he pushed me! Teacher, look at my new shoes! Teacher, can you hold my stuff? Teacher, Isaiah is grabbing me!".

Then, the parent who promised to come help at the independent table today didn't show up. That translates into double craziness for the lone teacher of 25 five year olds. (Have you ever tried to talk for 7 hours straight?)

Then, I got a five minute break at recess.

Then, after them telling me their hungry for the entire hour before lunch, I took them to the cafeteria and took my ten minute lunch since I had lunch duty.

Then I had "Encore" after lunch, which means I get a group of the "higher" kids for 45 minutes. So instead of 25 kids, I had 37 kids. I was outside with two other teachers doing PE in the unusual SUN and screaming at the top of my lungs for them to hear me (remember the sore throat?).

By the time they left at 2:00, I was SOOO ready to finish prepping for our Green Eggs and Ham breakfast today and get home by 4:00. Instead, I was told we had a last minute staff meeting...which lasted for TWO FREAKING HOURS! By then my headache was so extreme, I left school as disastrous as it can be.

(Hopefully I can get out the door early (earlier) tomorrow so I can be ready to "go on stage" by 8:00!)

Luckily I came home to bon bons and putting my feet up for the night. OH wait, that was just a dream. Yeah right! But I did get to be with my cute girls.

Even with the stress and craziness, and even though I don't know that I want to teach kindergarten, I really like these crazy kids. Even when you get upset at them and have them pull a card, they still love you. And they ask you questions like "Teacher, can I go to the restaurant?" when they have to go to the bathroom. They definitely keep me laughing (and crying).

2 comments:

britt said...

gotta LOVE those extra LONG, hard days...how many do you have left?

Global Girl said...

Today, one of my second graders told me I was her "best friend of ever".

It's worth it, isn't it?